Deadline: 20 May 2018
Open to: citizens from US or UK
Benefits: 10 day learning trip to South Africa
The 2018 Curtis Scholarship is an annual leadership development program to support youth aged 16-20 from underserved communities in the U.S. or U.K. who embody the values of global citizenship.
Curtis Scholars will be invited to join a 10-day learning trip to South Africa, and one advocacy trip to Global Citizen Week Events in NYC.
Joined by members of the Global Citizen staff, the Curtis Scholars will explore social issues, innovative international organizations and cultural sites with a focus on poverty alleviation in Global Citizen’s issue areas.
The mission is to foster global citizenship through empowering youth from underrepresented groups with the skills and tools to become dynamic change-makers for local to global impact.
The Curtis Scholarship, conceived and funded by Global Citizen Ambassador and Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis through the Vitalogy Foundation, is an annual award to mentor and support Curtis Scholars. The Curtis Scholarship seeks to create, support, and equip a network of youth advocates and community leaders committed to local and global response on issues surrounding extreme poverty.
- Applicants should be between 16-20 year old (by the time of application);
- U.S. Citizens or U.K. Citizens;
- Limited history of overseas travel;
- Family household income of under 85,000 USD;
- Those from minority and underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply;
- There are no academic requirements to be eligible for the Curtis Scholarship.
Learning Trip Includes:
- Pre – and post-departure trip learning sessions (through December 2018);
- Round trip airfare from within the U.S. or U.K. to South Africa (August 2 – 12) and New York (September 24-29);
- Round trip airfare from within the U.S. to NYC or within U.K. to London for a Global Citizen-led Orientation (August 1);
- All trip-related meals;
- Lodging and transportation;
- Other out-of-pocket expenses (at the GC’s discretion);
- Passport fees and all travel costs associated with this trip.
How to Apply?
In order to apply, please register here.
- Applicants can choose between submitting a 2-3 minute video or 500-700 word written responses to the two essay questions in the application;
- Applicants must also respond to two short answer questions, up to 250 words each;
- Applicants must submit a recommendation letter from a teacher/professor, school administrator, community leader, or colleague to be considered for the Curtis Scholarship;
- Guidelines for a Recommendation letter.
For more information please visit the official website.