Deadline: 28 May 2018
Open to: creative minds in the media field
Benefits: organizers will arrange and cover travel and accommodation
Organised by the European Journalism Centre, and powered by the Google News Initiative, this series of workshops offer participants the opportunity to unleash their creativity and learn new ways to face some of the most pressing challenges in the journalism industry. The goal is to nurture leadership skills in digital innovators by connecting them with other innovators and giving them the tools to scale their ideas, wherever they work.
The Academy started in 2017 with editions in Rome, Hamburg, Budapest, Manchester and Brussels. This year, they want to visit five new European cities to explore innovation opportunities in areas like product development, community engagement and newsroom leadership.
In 2018 organised five editions, each of them focused on how to tackle innovation around one specific topic. Applications are now open for the first three Academies:
- Amsterdam, 17-18 May – Design processes for news [Applications closed];
- Paris, 27-28 June – Hyperlocal news & engagement strategies [Accepting applications];
- Barcelona, 25-26 September – Newsroom leadership [Accepting applications];
- London, 17-18 October – The topic will be announced later in the year and applications will open in summer;
- Warsaw, 5-6 November – The topic will be announced later in the year and applications will open in summer;
The Academy unfolds during two days and each edition brings together 20 selected participants from different European newsrooms and a variety of backgrounds and skill-sets.
The programme offers:
- Hands-on sessions to learn how to apply user-centered methodologies in the newsroom;
- Roundtables to define newsroom challenges and explore potential solutions;
- Ask Me Anything sessions and ignite talks with top innovation leaders;
- Networking events to connect with fellow digital innovators.
- The Academy is aimed at digital editors, designers, product owners and developers, social media managers, and other media entrepreneurs;
- Applications from all creative minds in the media field who want to contribute to building a sustainable and innovative future for journalism.
Selected participants will be able to attend the Academy free-of-charge and the organizers will arrange and cover travel and accommodation (if needed) to join the Academy.
Why you should attend the News Impact Academy:
- Meet and learn from leading global innovators;
- Discover and master design methodologies that solve everyday challenges;
- Develop leadership skills to help you get things done in your team;
- Explore and unwind your topic of expertise with a diverse group of professionals;
- Learn how other industries approach innovation;
- Become a member of the News Impact Slack community.
How to Apply?
Due to the limited number of available spots, applicants are asked to fill in an application form in order to be considered for the Academy. The organizers will select participants on the basis of the application form and the session focus of each Academy edition.
Applications for the News Impact Academies in Amsterdam, Paris and Barcelona are open and the deadline is three weeks before each edition.
Fill the application for the chosen academy
If you have any further questions email us at email@example.com