Deadline: 31 July 2018
Open to: anyone located anywhere in the world
Fellowship: stipend of 2,000 USD for the three-month period
Bitch Media, an independent, nonprofit feminist media organization now in its 22nd year, is pleased to offer the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. The program is directed by Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful response to mainstream media and pop culture. They strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world. They will publish the award-winning quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture; also feature daily online articles, interviews, opinions, and weekly podcasts at bitchmedia.org; and send speakers and workshop leaders to colleges and universities around the world through Bitch on Campus program.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30;
- April 1 – June 30;
- July 1 – September 30;
- October 1 – December 31.
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Sexual politics;
- Pop-culture criticism;
- Global Feminism.
During the 3-month fellowships, fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length;
- Produce at least one long-form article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture;
- Participate in bi-weekly meetings (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff;
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts;
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within feminist-media communities.
This fellowship was created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices.
- If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience;
- If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them;
- If you are a writer still figuring out the topics you’re most dedicated to.
A stipend of 2,000 USD for the three-month period.
How to Apply?
In order to apply, please submit your application here.
For more information, please read the FAQ section or visit the official website.