Deadline: 22 July 2018
Open to: international candidates
Fellowship: monthly payment of EUR 745 and free accommodation in Guimarães (Portugal)
The central purpose of the United Nations University Operating Unit on Policy-Driven Electronic Governance (UNU-EGOV), located in Guimarães and hosted by the University of Minho, is to support the Member States of the United Nations in transforming the mechanisms of governance and building effective governance capabilities through strategic applications of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) to contribute to sustainable development, social inclusion, and active citizenship.
UNU-EGOV is recruiting 12 Government Fellows for a period of three months to contribute to its research, projects, and activities. Three (3) Government Fellows will be recruited for every period starting on 1 October 2018, 1 January 2019, 1 April 2019, and 1 July 2019.
Successful candidates will join international and multidisciplinary project teams supervised by UNU-EGOV staff and comprising research, postdoctoral, academic, and government fellows.
The responsibilities will include:
- developing real-life case studies, supported by the experience of the applicant’s own organization and research developed at UNU-EGOV;
- translating research results into relevant policy instruments;
- applying and validating the instruments in the own organization/country;
- developing and reviewing project deliverables;
- disseminating project results in the own organization/country;
- contributing to the further development of UNU-EGOV;
The candidate’s research interests should be aligned with at least one of the following research areas of the UNU-EGOV core research programme:
- Managing e-governance: EGOV strategy and methodologies; EGOV diagnostic, measurement, and assessment; EGOV instruments and policies
- Digital transformation for sustainable governance:
2.1. Socio-economic impact of digital governance: shadow economy; administrative burden reduction (ease of doing business); EGOV and entrepreneurship ecosystem
2.2. Smart governance for sustainable cities and communities: smart governance; smart city index; smart city platforms.
2.3. Digital media and digital democracy: digital media and technologies for e-participation; use of ccc technology for civic engagement.
2.4. Digital certification and preservation of digital memory: data and information authentication, electronic identity management (electronic identity and digital signatures).
2.5. Emerging technologies for digital transformation of the public sphere
- Digital governance evolution: how to translate theories into practice; collaborative research.
Required qualifications and experience include:
- completed bachelor’s or master’s degree in Informatics, Information Systems, Public Administration, Public Policy, Development Management, Economics, Communication Sciences, Sociology, Law, or a related discipline;
- civil servant or international civil servant status within public administration, government or intergovernmental organization, holding executive or professional responsibility for public sector technology, modernization and innovation;
- national- or international-level policy and project experience;
- knowledge of the public sector and public policy issues;
- fluency in spoken and written English;
Required competencies include:
- ability to work in a team and result-orientation;
- excellent organisational and communication skills;
- ability to work in a multicultural and multi-ethnic environment;
- dedication to the core UN values – integrity, professionalism, and respect for diversity;
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
The successful candidate shall work under a Consultant Contract (CTC) for a fixed period of three (3) months. The successful candidate will be based in Guimarães, Portugal, and will not hold international civil servant status nor will he/she be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
A monthly payment of EUR 745 and free accommodation in Guimarães (except utility costs) will be provided. However, it is expected that the applicant’s own organization will cover the costs related to travel between the home location and Guimarães as well as medical, life, and travel insurance.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants should submit their applications (in English) by email to [email protected] indicating the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2018/UNU/EGOV/CTC/GF/53) and must include the following:
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; applicants must indicate in section 28 how their experience matches the requirements of the position and to which of the research areas identified above they would like to contribute. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a supporting letter from the applicants’ own organization pledging to support the application if successful and explicitly stating the interest of the organization in this fellowship and further collaboration with UNU-EGOV;
Applications will be evaluated by the Selection Committee against the required qualifications and experience. Candidates selected for the second phase will be required to submit:
- a 15-minute self-recorded video presenting his/her organization (objectives, structure, emblematic projects, role of the candidate within), some relevant projects in which the candidate has been involved, motivation and expectation for the fellowship;
Requests for information:
Campus de Couros, Rua de Vila Flor 166,
Tel.: +351 253 510852
Email: [email protected]
For more information please visit the official website.