Deadline: 30 November 2018
Open to: active EASL members or applicants who have applied for membership at the time of the application
Benefits: base funding of 60,000 EUR per year paid directly to the Hosting Institution + mobility and family allowance
This competitive Postdoctoral Research Fellowship programme targets the most promising newly qualified postgraduate researchers who wish to expand research fields and start developing their independent research careers. The program is open to Europeans and non-Europeans who wish to conduct post-graduate research at a European center. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. and /or an MD degree and have no more than two years of postgraduate research experience.
Applicants must conduct the fellowship at a European institution different from their Home Institution and in a different European country. The research supervisor in the hosting Institution is supposed to provide relevant and constant scientific guidance for the duration of the fellowship.
The Hosting Institution must appoint the recipient of the fellowship under an employment contract to be finalized before the effective start of the fellowship in the hosting institution.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS:
- Successful applicants are requested to attend the EASL International Liver Congress™ during which the winners are announced;
- Successful applicants are requested to submit a photo and short project summary to be posted on the EASL website, social media, and newsletter;
- The fellowship should begin at the latest by the end of the year of the awarded grant;
- Upon completion of the project, the EASL Governing Board will reserve the right to ask the fellowship recipient to present the results of the research produced in the format/session it deems most appropriate during the International Liver Congress™;
- Successful applicants shall be active Members for the full duration of the programme and are required to provide testimonial and feedback on the fellowship experience;
- An annual progress report accompanied by a letter from the research supervisor in the hosting institution detailing the evolution of the project is required to justify any failure to meet the proposed goals and monitor the fellow’s progress. The reports shall be signed by the research supervisor at the hosting institution;
- In the event the fellowship recipient is unable to complete the research or desires to discontinue the research before its completion, the fellow will be required to return all unexpended funds within 90 days of notification and any remaining fellowship will be canceled.
- Any presentation or publication of the data should mention the support of the work by the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL).
- Candidates must be active EASL members or have applied for membership at the time of the application;
- Applicant must not hold a permanent position;
- Applicants must hold a PhD and /or a MD degree and have no more than two years of postgraduate research experience.
- The Hosting Institution must be in Europe;
- The Hosting Institution must be different from the Home Institution and located in a different European country;
- No more than 1 application per hosting and home institution will be considered;
- The research supervisor in the hosting institution must be an EASL member but must not be a member of the EASL Governing Board;
- No restriction on the applicant’s age or nationality
Base funding of 60,000 EUR per year paid directly to the Hosting Institution, providing support for basic salary. The Salary Contribution may also cover part of the research expenses, depending on the salary determined by the Hosting Institution, and detailed in the fellowship application.
The Salary Contribution may also cover part of the tuition fees, consumables and travel costs providing that there is sufficient funding left. Any unused funds must be returned to EASL by the Hosting Institution at the end of the PhD Studentship programme.
(a) Mobility allowance, 500 EUR per month;
(b) Family allowance, 500 EUR per month.
A family allowance will be paid in case the supported researcher has family obligations, In this context, family is defined as persons linked to the researcher (i) by marriage or (ii) a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognized by the legislation of the country or region where this relationship is formalized or (iii) as dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher.
Both the Mobility and Family Allowance are paid directly to the fellow.
How to apply?
In order to apply, you must create an account.
For more information please visit the official website.