Deadline: 1 March 2019
Open to: current PhD students
Benefits: grant covers all student expenses including return airfares, furnished accommodation for up to 12 months, a stipend to cover living costs, and research support
The Al Qasimi Foundation’s Doctoral Research Grants encourage scholars from a wide range of disciplines and professional fields to undertake research toward informing policymaking in the United Arab Emirates. The Grants are open to PhD students from all nationalities studying at an accredited university in the United Arab Emirates or abroad.
Doctoral Research Grants financially support PhD candidates in the research phase of their dissertations. Currently, two awards are available each year for applied research projects that have Ras Al Khaimah as a primary site for data gathering and analysis. Recipients are expected to produce one to two working papers as part of the Grant and make at least one presentation to the local research community.
Please see Foundation Publications for samples of past research topics and working papers written by Doctoral Research Grant recipients.
Please note: The Al Qasimi Foundation does not provide general scholarships, grants, or other funding to students planning to enroll in master’s or doctoral programs. We also do not offer degrees or courses of study.
The minimum eligibility criteria for prospective applicants seeking Doctoral Research Grants:
- Applicant must be a current PhD student at an accredited university in good academic standing;
- Applicant must have a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 85 or IELTS score of 6.5 if English is a secondary language;
- Applicant must have all PhD coursework completed and be ready to conduct the field research component of his/her dissertation;
- Applicant must have a research proposal that is approved (or is in the process of being approved) by the applicant’s advisor and graduate program. The approved proposal should include a literature review and significant detail on research methodology;
- The proposed research must have Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval from the applicant’s home institution;
- The proposed research must focus on the United Arab Emirates, and specifically the emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. If the research proposal includes other locations, Ras Al Khaimah must be a significant focus for data gathering and analysis;
- Proposed research must address an education, public policy, or closely related social science issue or question. Relevant topics (dependent on research question) may include areas such as education, urban planning/development, public health, economic development, food access, and energy or environmental policy.
The Grant covers all student expenses associated with their field research in the United Arab Emirates, including return airfares, furnished accommodation for up to 12 months, a stipend to cover living costs, and research support.
How to apply?
Before applying, please review the grant handbook, as it contains important information for applicants and recipients.
In order to apply for a 2019 Doctoral Research Grant through the Al Qasimi Foundation, applicants will need to complete the online application form and send all required documents to [email protected]
In order to submit your application, please visit the official web page.