Deadline: 5 March 2020
Open to: young scientists, policymakers, diplomats, research institution administrators, research funders and representatives from NGOs and other sectors
Venue: 10-31 July 2020, Trieste, Italy
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington DC, USA, and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Trieste, Italy are seeking candidates to participate in the course on science diplomacy to be held in Trieste, Italy, from 10 to 13 July 2020.
Given the growing role of science and technology in international relations, AAAS and TWAS established a partnership in 2011 focused on science diplomacy training and engagement between the North and the South, including our annual summer course on science diplomacy.
This course will expose participants to key contemporary international policy issues relating to science, technology, environment and health, while providing an overview of how technical information has contributed to different policy developments and international structures. Another focus of the course will be a better understanding of, and appreciation for, the roles of governments, international organizations and the private sector in complex science-based issues, and how different governance structures are developed to address the needs and involvement of these different stakeholders.
The workshop is designed for:
(1) young scientists (below the age of 40) living and working in developing countries whose research and wider engagement has brought them into the international policy-making arena,
(2) policymakers and diplomats interested in some of the central science-based themes that might influence their work,
(3) research institution administrators and research funders focused on identifying ways to build international networks, and
(4) representatives from NGOs and other sectors working at the science-diplomacy interface.
- Alumni will join a global network of young leaders and innovators reaching across borders to address societal challenges and become agents of change in their countries and sectors.
- Travel, accommodation and visa expenses will be provided to the selected participants.
How to Apply?
- The completed application should be sent via the online system ONLY. Submission of applications by email cannot be accepted. To access the online application form click HERE.
For more information, please visit the official web page.