Deadline: 30 April 2020
Open to: young journalists between the ages of 18 to 35 from around the world
Venue: 14-17 October 2020, Munich, Germany
The One Young World Journalist of the Year Award was created to recognize five of the most promising young journalists between the ages of 18 to 35 from around the world. The purpose of this award is to highlight the work of young journalists who are fearlessly and boldly inspiring others through their work, changing the way stories are reported, and empowering others by giving them a voice.
In an age of mass information and misinformation, the role of journalists is more important than ever. Our societies rely on the core values of journalism – truthfulness, and objectivity- to stay informed and shape opinions.
But the pursuit of these values can come at a tragic cost. Free speech has long been threatened and journalists continue to face challenges when trying to unveil the truth and raise the voices of those who cannot do so for themselves.
According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, in the last 20 years, “a reported 1040 journalists have been killed” and “1381 have been imprisoned” as a result of their work across the world. The tragic deaths of Lyra McKee, Daphne Caruana Galizia, and Jamal Khashoggi evidence the growing threat to freedom of expression.
One Young World believes that the next generation of young journalists is paramount to creating powerful and meaningful change, providing the important means to ensure freedom of speech and defence of rights are justly upheld in all regions across the world.
To be considered for the award, nominees must:
- Be aged between 18 and 35 years old
- Have substantial evidence of the impact and importance of their journalism
- Be passionate about the right to freedom of thought, expression, and speech
- Have a demonstrable interest in the pursuit of social, economic and/or political rights through journalism
In addition to receiving the award:
- Access to the entirety of the One Young World Summit 2020 in Munich
- Hotel accommodation on a private basis between 13 and 17 (inclusive) October 2020
- The cost of travel to and from Munich (flights in economy)
- Catering, which includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue
This year’s award will be presented to 5 winners at the ONE YOUNG WORLD 2020 in Munich, which takes place from 14-17 of October 2020.
How to Apply?
For more information and in order to apply please check the official web page.