Deadline: 15 October 2020
Open to: excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions
Benefits: living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby
The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns. These 2-6 month placements allow gaining experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique. Interns work under the direction of a Professor at OIST and contribute to the research activities of OIST. The specific assignment of duties is at the discretion of the PI and is subject to change.
Places for Research Interns are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis, with the application period months in advance.
Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions. Currently, enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. The academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST. Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive and are only awarded to outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline. In some cases, additional internship positions may be offered directly by OIST faculty to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group’s research.
OIST provides living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby. Successful applicants will receive a Living Allowance of round USD 22.30 (2,400 JPY) per day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
OIST will pay for one direct roundtrip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facility where the internship will take place (primarily in Okinawa). The travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. Travel for successful applicants is arranged by the OIST Graduate School.
The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will provide support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as housing, visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. OIST regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student is not available.
How to Apply?
- Applications to the program must be made through the online form, available here.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from addresses [email protected]).
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- Notification will be sent to successful applicants by 3 months after the submission deadline, at the latest. (In some cases applicants’ email services/ settings prevent receipt of our notifications. Please confirm that your inbox can receive emails from [email protected] email addresses. We will not repeatedly send notifications. If you are not able to find a notification by the approximate notification date below, you can assume that you will not receive an offer for the current round.)
- Following the final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
For more information, please visit the official web page.