Deadline: 20 May 2020
Open to: Candidates with a PhD Degree
Benefits: GBP 30,942 stipend per annum
Applications are invited for a Career Development Fellowship in Engineering Science at St Hugh’s College, Oxford, tenable from 1st October 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. This is a fixed-term three-year position and will suit an individual who has recently completed a PhD/DPhil, and who wishes to develop their academic career by furthering their research while gaining experience of teaching.
The duties of the post holder will be: To carry out research of international standing, to offer an average of three hours teaching each week during the term for the College; to assist in directing studies, admissions, and pastoral care of undergraduates; to promote women in Engineering Science through events with the College and University, as well as schools, industry, and the wider community.
The formal selection criteria for the post are as follows:
1. Evidence of ability to produce work of international standing within the candidate’s field of research.
2. Evidence of ability to teach undergraduate students Engineering Science at the highest
3. The candidate should have already received the degree of PhD/DPhil or equivalent at the point of application.
4. The candidate should not normally have accumulated more than seven years (not counting career breaks) in full-time graduate study or research.
The stipend will be based on the University’s scale for Fixed-Term Fellows (Grade 6), starting at around GBP 30,942 per annum; there will be an initial probationary period of one year. A Career Development Fellow of St Hugh’s College is entitled to free meals at a common table, and some support is available for research-related costs.
How to Apply?
Applications and references should be sent by email to the Academic Administrator, Miss
Adams ([email protected]), by 9 am on 20 May. Applications should be in the
form of a single PDF comprising:
1. a covering letter
2. a full curriculum vitae, including a full list of publications
3. an account of teaching experience (not more than one page)
4. a proposal for a postdoctoral research project (not more than one page)
5. a proposal for outreach activities (not more than one page)
6. the details of two referees
Candidates should ask their referees to submit references directly to the Academic
Administrator ([email protected]) by the same deadline.