Deadline: 30 June 2020
Open to: international applicants
Benefits: EUR 1887.04 (JPY220,000)/ per month research and stay allowance and other financial supports
Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
“2021 Research Fellowship Program” has been officially released.
Host Institution In Japan: Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry)
Fellowship Details: Stipend for research and stay, Insurance, Air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and Lump sum on arrival
Period & Number of Fellowships: For a period of from three to six months; the number of fellowships is about 20 persons each year.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in
- Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
- Applicants should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship
The following financial supports are provided to the successful applicants.
Fellowships are provided to successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
Allowance for research and stay : EUR 1887.04 (JPY220,000)/ per month is provided for the purpose of tuition payment, expenses for research materials, and miscellaneous living expenses.
Insurance: Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Air transportation: A coach class round trip air tickets between an airport nearest to the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo via most direct and economical routing is provided. The tickets provided cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash provided by MIF be used for purchasing air tickets.
Start-up Fund upon arrival: EUR 1029.30 (¥120,000) is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
How to Apply?
Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. MIF accepts those submitted by POST. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable.
For more information, please visit the official web page.