Open to: scholars from all disciplines and countries
Benefits: 2,670 EUR per month
In providing Humboldt Research Fellowships for postdoctoral researchers, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation enables highly-qualified scientists and scholars from abroad who are just embarking on their academic careers and who completed their doctorates less than four years ago to spend extended periods of research (6–24 months) in Germany. Scientists and scholars from all disciplines and countries may apply. The research outline is carried out in cooperation with academic hosts at research institutions in Germany. Applicants choose their own topic of research and their host in Germany. Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying.
1. Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than four years prior to the date of application. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation.
2. Academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
3. Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s report by an academic host at a research institution in Germany. Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying.
4. Expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and one other academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s eligibility, preferably including a reviewer not working at the applicant’s own institute.
5. Language skills: scholars in the humanities or social sciences and physicians must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English.
The fellowship is worth 2,670 EUR per month. This includes a mobility lump sum and a contribution towards health and liability insurance.
How to apply?
Applications may be submitted to the Humboldt Foundation online at any time, provided they have been duly completed and all of the following required documents have been uploaded:
– Timeline of selection procedure
– Timeline of the selection procedure
– Curriculum vitae (two pages max)
– Research outline (five pages max)
– Complete list of publications
– List of selected key publications
– Key publications
– Doctoral certificate
– German language certificate, if applicable
– Host’s statement and confirmation of research facilities*
– Two expert reviews
– Additionally, where required: publishers’ letter(s) of acceptance and/or acknowledgment(s) of receipt as well as summaries or translations of the key publications
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.