Deadline: 13 October 2020
Open to: higher education managers from developing countries
Benefits: fully- funded
Young managers at higher education institutions in developing countries can now apply for the DIES UNILEAD course offered by the University of Oldenburg in 2021. The course brings together the topics Project Management, Strategic Management & Academic Leadership and Human Resource Management with individual and practice-oriented change projects of each participant.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Center of Lifelong Learning (C3L) at the University of Oldenburg in Germany are jointly organising the DIES University Leadership and Management Training Programme UNILEAD in Oldenburg, enabling young managers at higher education institutions in developing countries to tackle successfully every-day challenges. Developed in 2008, UNILEAD is part of the DIES programme (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies), which is jointly coordinated by the DAAD and German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) since 2001 and funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
UNILEAD focuses on three key areas:
- Project Management. This includes courses on Methodology of Project Management and Financial Management in Projects.
- Strategic Management & Academic Leadership. This includes courses of theoretical basics and practical tools for the Development and Implementation of Strategic Management and Acquisition of Competences in the area of Leadership.
- Human Resource Management. This includes courses on Instruments of Human Resource Development, Conflict Management and Communication.
UNILEAD targets higher education managers from developing countries. The two key criteria are:
- Applicants have been holding a university management position with managerial and personnel responsibilities no longer than 4 years in one of the following fields:
o Managers of central university departments (Planning, Quality Management, Human Resources, Continuing Education; excluding academic units such as Deans, Vice Deans, Head of Department)
o Task force managers for university reform projects
o Managers of staff development units or programmes
- Active and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are indispensable. Phone interviews will be organised with short listed candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency.
Further criteria are:
- Applicants are university leaders preferably between 30 and 40 years.
- Applicants hold at least a Master’s degree.
- The provision of international experience will be an asset.
During the contact phases the participants will be guests of the University of Oldenburg.
Following expenses will be covered:
- Course costs UNILEAD approx. 5.500 €.
- Travel costs: Flights to and from Germany (Economy class) and ground travel to and from Oldenburg (2.
Class train). We kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangements – they will then be
reimbursed in cash upon arrival in Oldenburg.
- Accommodation (including breakfast) and some joint meals at the two contact phases in Germany.
- Emergency health insurance during the contact phases.
Expected co-funding: Participants’ home institutions are expected to contribute to the course costs by paying a
one-time fee of 300,00 €. The fee will be deducted from the travel reimbursement in the first contact phase.
In addition, local transportation in the participants’ home countries, visa costs and possible additional per diems
for the stay in Germany have to be covered by the participants and/or their home institution.
Further details on terms and conditions will be given to the admitted applicants together with the invitation letter.
How to apply?
For more information and to apply, please visit the official website.