Deadline: 30 April 2021
Open to: Youth from ASEAN Member State
Benefits: Participation in a virtual visual storytelling workshop
The ASEAN Foundation and ASEAN-German Energy Programme (AGEP) are pleased to announce the ASEAN Photo Competition focused on the theme of “#ASEANYouth Shaping the Vision of Sustainable Energy as the New Normal.” AGEP is commissioned by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by the Deutsche Gessellschaft für Internationale Zusammernabeit (GIZ) GmbH in close cooperation with the ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE).
In accordance with Phase 1 of the ASEAN Plan of Action for Energy Cooperation (APAEC) 2016-2025, ASEAN sets an aspirational target of securing 23% of its primary energy from renewable sources by 2025 as energy demand in the region is expected to increase by 50%. The increase of awareness and public support to the development of renewable energy sector in ASEAN is central in mitigating the challenges that the region face.
As part of ASEAN’s continuous initiative to drive an integrated, competitive, and resilient region through the utilization of renewable energy, we are calling all young and talented photographers aged 18 – 30 years old from 10 ASEAN Member States to submit a photo story on the theme of “#ASEANYouth Shaping the Vision of Sustainable Energy as the New Normal.” The photo competition, which is one of competition series under ASEAN Youth Energy Awards (AYEA 2021), aims to contribute to the awareness of the benefits of sustainable energy (solar, wind, hydro, tidal, and biofuel) paving the way for ASEAN’s cleaner and greener future.
Based on the photo story submissions, the 10 youth from 10 ASEAN Member States will be selected to participate in a virtual visual storytelling workshop in June 2021. The final photography projects from 10 finalists will be submitted to a Technical Evaluation Committee and a total prize of 2,000 USD will be awarded to the Top 3 Winners and the People’s Choice Award Winner, announced at the 39th ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting 2021.
- Creative and talented youth that holds an ASEAN Member State passport (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam) and resides in the country of citizenship.
- Amateur photographers and interested youth are encouraged to apply. Note: Professional photographers who are full-time employees or contributors of established media outlets and/or have their own photography firms are not eligible to participate.
- The applicants must be aged 18 to 30 years old at the time of the deadline of submission on 30 April 2021.
- Selected finalists must be able to communicate fluently in both spoken and written English to be able to participate in the virtual workshop.
- Selected finalists must have active Facebook and Gmail accounts for ease of communication with the trainer and other participants.
Following the evaluation process, ten participants will be selected to participate in a virtual visual storytelling workshop in June 2021.
During the workshop, each of the finalists will deepen their visual narratives with an editorial skill to better develop their own personal visual language. The photo projects by the 10 finalists will raise awareness and address the above-mentioned theme related to ASEAN and their home country. The participants will get to practice to pitch their projects to the trainer, and judges.
After the pitching, the trainer and judges will evaluate and provide constructive feedback to the photo project pitches from the finalists.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information please visit the official website.