Deadline: 31 May 2021
Open to: citizens and permanent residents of Somalia, Eritrea, South Sudan and Djibouti
Benefits: full cost of tuition, accommodation/boarding, a stipend and additional expenses covered
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) at the University of Gondar, which started in the 2018/19 Academic year, will award a total of 160 graduate scholarships for eight years. The scholarship will directly benefit academically talented but disadvantaged youth from five East African countries – Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea , Djibouti and South Sudan. The Graduate Scholars Program is designed to help Scholars to acquire transformational and leadership skills and demonstrate high professional and scholarly competencies to effectively influence global, regional, national and local socioeconomic development trends. The Program is technically and financially supported by Mastercard Foundation and will avail excellent academic and nonacademic support to Scholars during their stay at University of Gondar.
The eligible programs are:
- Gender and development studies
- Development and environmental management studies
- Public health
Applicants who hold a degree from a recognized University and are academically talented, disadvantaged based on the criteria of disability, socioeconomic status, and are not engaged at work at all or have been engaged at work but couldn’t able to cover their study expenses will be eligible for the scholarship. Specifically, to be eligible to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program’s graduate scholarship, applicants must meet the below listed criteria:
- Earned a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to their proposed graduate program from recognized University using English as a medium of instruction in the past 5 years with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) at graduation;
- Be citizen and permanent resident of Somalia, Eritrea , South Sudan and Djibouti (and residents of the respective countries for at least five years at the time of their application),
- Youth applicants with disabilities
- Female applicants with economic but have financial difficulty to finance graduate university education.
The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition, accommodation/boarding, a stipend and additional expenses such as books. The scholarship also includes academic, financial and social support to help awardees develop into capable leaders in their communities, and experiential activities such as summer camps.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information, please visit the official website.