Deadline: 29 April 29 2021
Open to: nationals of WTO Members
Benefits: CHF 3,500 monthly salary
Applications are open for the World Trade Organization (WTO) Young Professionals Programme 2022. The WTO YPP is a unique opportunity for qualified young professionals from eligible developing and least-developed country (LDC) WTO Members, to enhance their knowledge and skills on WTO and international trade issues.
The Programme aims to widen the pool of professionals from these countries who can later be more competitive with respect to recruitment in the WTO and/or other regional and international organizations. The selected Young Professional will be placed in a specific Division of the WTO Secretariat in accordance with the needs and priorities of the Organization; and based on the identified areas of interest of the Young Professional.
Each Young Professional may express interest in not more than three areas of WTO work; and in order of preference. The areas of work may include, inter alia, the following:
- Council and Trade Negotiations
- Dispute Settlement
- Economic Research and Statistics
- Government Procurement
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Market Access (tariffs and non-tariff barriers)
- Media and External Relations
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary measures
- Technical Barriers to Trade
- Trade and Development
- Trade and Environment
- Trade Facilitation
- Trade and Gender
- Trade in Services and Investment
- Trade Policy Analysis
- Trade-Related Technical Assistance.
- Trade Remedies (anti-dumping and countervailing duties)
- Applicant should have advanced university degree in law, economics, or other international trade-related subjects relevant to the work of the WTO.
- Minimum two (2) years of professional experience relevant to the work of the WTO.
- Fluency in English. A good working knowledge either French or Spanish would be an advantage.
- Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply to this Programme.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- General knowledge of the work of the WTO.
- Good drafting skills in English. Ability to draft in French and/or Spanish would be an advantage.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated strong interest in international trade and the multilateral trading system.
- Commitment and passion for trade or WTO-related work.
Preference shall be given to nationals from WTO Members without any representation or with low representation (one staff member) at the professional level in the Secretariat; and have not participated in previous cohorts of the YPP. The list of such WTO Members as at 15 March 2021 is set out below:
Angola, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Moldova, Myanmar, Niger, Qatar, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Suriname, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Vanuatu, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia.
Successful applicant will receive CHF 3,500 monthly salary (approximate).
How to apply?
Applicants must submit their applications along with their cover letter and motivation.
Instructions to add the cover letter is as follows: Once the application for the Young Professionals Programme has been submitted, their application will be displayed under the “My Applications” tab. Applicants should click on the button “Add” for the specific vacancy under the “Covering letter” column. Cover letters added in other sections of the applicant profile such as “Additional Information” or “Additional Documents”.
For more information, please visit the official website.