Deadline: 12 July 2021
Open to: international applicants
Benefits: yearlong research, a grant up to 25000 USD
Applications for the Institute of International Education’s Scholar Rescue Fund (IIE-SRF) 2021 are now open. The IIE-SRF is the only global program that arranges and funds fellowships for threatened and displaced scholars at partnering higher education institutions worldwide.
These year-long fellowships of $25,000 USD support temporary academic positions at institutions of higher learning anywhere in the world where IIE-SRF fellows can continue their work in safety. In most cases, IIE-SRF fellows are eligible to apply for a second and final year of fellowship support.
Since 2002, IIE-SRF has received more than 3,000 requests for assistance from scholars in over 100 countries. They have awarded IIE-SRF fellowships to 902 scholars from 60 countries, placing them at 431 host partner institutions in 50 countries around the world.
- IIE-SRF accepts applications from professors, researchers, and public intellectuals who face threats and cannot continue their work in their home countries.
- Scholars from any country and in any academic field or discipline may qualify.
Preference is given to scholars who:
- hold a Ph.D. or highest degree in their field and have significant teaching and/or research experience at a university, college, or other institution of higher learning;
- have an established record of published research;
- demonstrate superior academic accomplishment or promise;
- are facing or have recently fled from immediate, targeted threats to their lives and/or careers in their home countries or countries of residence;
- will benefit their home and/or host academic communities.
They encourage applications from women and members of ethnic, racial, cultural, or religious minority groups, or those otherwise underrepresented in their fields.
Applicants are assessed based on academic qualifications and experience, the quality and/or potential of their work, and the urgency of the threats that they face.
The IIE-SRF fellowship package includes the following:
- A yearlong research and/or teaching appointment at a higher education institution in a safe location anywhere in the world;
- A fellowship grant of up to $25,000 (most awards are eligible for renewal for a second and final year);
- Individual health insurance coverage;
- Funding for relocation to the host institution;
- Professional development support through resource guides and access to academic networks; CV and cover letter review; letters of reference; career mentorship and advising on post-fellowship opportunities; and (in some cases) financial support for conference attendance and language training;
- Opportunities through IIE-SRF or partner events, media, or other venues to share or promote the fellow’s academic work and/or speak about their home country;
- Dedicated support from IIE-SRF and its partners – before, during, and after the fellowship.
How to apply?
For full instructions and more information about the program and how to apply, please visit the official website.