Deadline: 2 November 2021
Open to: citizens of Afghanistan, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan
Benefits: fully funded
Applications for the Chevening Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Fellowships 2022-2023 are now open. The Chevening Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Fellowships are aimed at mid-career academics or professionals who are dedicated to the promotion of academic activities which encourage a more informed understanding of the culture and civilisation of Islam and contemporary Muslim societies.
The following fellowships are a collaboration between the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and OCIS:
- Chevening OCIS Fellowship
- Chevening OCIS Abdullah Gül Fellowship
Fellows will undertake a 6-month period of self-directed research focusing on their own project on the culture and civilisation of Islam and contemporary Muslim societies in a global context.
Fellows will benefit from meeting a multi-disciplinary group of scholars focusing on the Islamic world and have the opportunity to develop contacts with relevant individuals, discuss issues relating to the Islamic world, including Islamic history, classical Islamic sciences, economics and Islamic finance, and the study of Muslims in the West. Fellows will contribute to the Centre’s objective to encourage and promote sustained dialogue and collaboration within the global academic community of the culture and civilisation of Islam and contemporary Muslim societies.
This fellowship program will commence in October 2022. Fellows will need to develop their own research project to focus on during their fellowship prior to arriving in the UK. Fellows must reside in Oxford for the duration of their award. OCIS can provide information about accommodation options in Oxford upon selection.
The Chevening OCIS Abdullah Gül Fellowship is available to applicants from Turkey.
To be eligible for a Chevening OCIS Fellowship, you must:
- Demonstrate the potential to rise to a position of leadership and influence;
- Demonstrate the personal, intellectual and interpersonal attributes reflecting this potential;
- Be a citizen of Afghanistan, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan;
- Return to country of your citizenship at the end of the period of the fellowship;
- Hold a postgraduate level qualification (or equivalent professional training or experience in a relevant area) at the time of application;
- Have significant professional and/or academic research experience (at least five years);
- Provide evidence of meeting at least the minimum English language abilities for Chevening Awards;
- Not hold British or dual-British citizenship;
- Not be an employee, a former employee, or relative of an employee of Her Majesty’s Government within the last two years (including British embassies/high commissions, the Department for International Development, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, the Ministry of Defence, and the Home Office), the British Council, or a staff member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- Six-month period of research at OCIS.
- Living expenses for the duration of the fellowship.
- Return economy airfare from home country to the UK.
- Allowance package for research-related activities.
- Access to a program of cultural events and activities organised by the FCDO and the Chevening Secretariat.
How to apply?
Applicants should be prepared to outline a short proposal on the area of academic research they would like to conduct at the time of application submission. The proposal should include a main research question and how the applicant intends to conduct this research while in residence at the Centre.
For more information, please visit the official website.