Deadline: 19 December 2022
Open to: applicants from Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Qatar, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, and Yemen. Students from Syria and Yemen who reside in the participating MENA countries are eligible to apply. Syrians living inside Syria are not eligible to apply
Benefits: fully funded
Applications are open for the U.S. Department of State Student Leaders Programme (SLP) 2023-2024. The Student Leaders Programme (SLP) is a rigorous leadership and civic engagement programme for competitively selected undergraduate and graduate students between the ages of 20 and 24 from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
Students are placed in U.S. universities where they complete academic coursework, develop leadership and project management skills, and expand their understanding of civil society and participatory governance processes in the United States and MENA region. The cornerstone of the programme is the development of Community Engagement Plans (CEP), where each student identifies an issue/opportunity that they would like to improve in their communities. During the programme, students will have the opportunity to meet their American peers, engage in community service activities, and meet civil society organizations.
The Student Leaders Programme (SLP) is a yearlong three-part programme: pre-summer, summer, and post-summer with the most intensive part taking place during the summer. The summer programme is an intensive 4-week programme, and is tentatively scheduled to take place from June 28 until July 26, 2023. The summer programme will either be a virtual, hybrid, or in-person programme.
Upon completion of the summer programme, students will implement their Community Engagement Plans (CEPs) and receive follow-on support, training, and professional networking opportunities, including joining the 2,000 strong MEPI Alumni network. A competitive follow-on Accelerator Workshop may be held in the region.
- Open to students from the following countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Qatar, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, and Yemen. Students from Syria and Yemen who reside in the participating MENA countries are eligible to apply. Syrians living inside Syria are not eligible to apply.
- This program is open to university students (undergraduate and graduate) between the ages of 20 and 24 (birth dates falling between July 26, 1998 and June 28, 2003).
- They seek a gender-balanced pool of candidates and give preference to traditionally under-served participants.
- Applicants should demonstrate sufficient English-language skills to participate in U.S. university-level classes and must be enrolled in and attending a university in their home countries.
- Students from low-income backgrounds and limited travel experience are highly encouraged to apply.
- While nominees may be undergraduate or graduate students in any field of academic specialization, it is critical that they exhibit a serious interest in pursuing leadership opportunities in their home countries and demonstrate a desire to deepen their civic engagement.
- SLP does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical challenge or social status.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously traveled to the United States. At the time of application and while participating in the programme, participants cannot hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident.
The Student Leaders Programme (SLP) is sponsored by the U.S Department of State, Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, Assistance Coordination, U.S.- Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI). Expenses for the program are fully covered by the U.S. Department of State, MEPI.
How to apply?
Applications are due on December 19, 2022 at 23:59 GMT for the following countries; Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Morocco, Qatar, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, and Yemen.
Applications for Israel and Lebanon will be due on January 3, 2023 at 23:59 GMT.
For more information, please visit the official website.