Deadline: 5 March 2023
Open to: highly qualified graduates of all disciplines from the countries of Central and Eastern Europe
Benefits: monthly grant: 1,250 €
The DBU awards up to 60 fellowships per year for advanced scientific and/or professional qualification in all fields of environmental
protection and nature conservation. Highly qualified graduates of all disciplines from the countries of Central and Eastern Europe (CEE)
are welcome to apply. The DBU fellowship covers a 6–12 months stay at German host institutions: universities, research institutes,
companies, environmental and nature protection agencies and authorities, NGOs, associations, etc.
During the fellowship practical solutions for current environmental issues are developed. After their stay in Germany the alumni are well qualified to tackle these issues in their home countries thus assuring efficient knowledge transfer. Working closely together in an international context helps to breakdown existing barriers. The acquired contacts will create a strong Europe-wide network of highly committed environmental experts.
• citizenship of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Estonia, Hungary, Kaliningrad Oblast, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine
• residence in one participating CEE country at the time of application
• proposal of an environmental relevant and applied topic
• above-average (good to very good) degree of one participating CEE country (master’s degree or diploma; a bachelor’s degree is not sufficient)
• all disciplines are eligible
• at the time of application, the degree should generally not have been completed more than five years ago
• sufficient knowledge of the German language; needs to be proven at the beginning of the stay at the host institution
• they especially fund persons without prior study experience in Germany
• PhD students are admitted, as far as the doctoral project/PhD study is not already completed during the funding
• funding cannot be used for studies in Germany
• funding period: 6–12 months
• monthly grant: 1,250 €; exempt from taxation and social security contributions in Germany
• health, accident and liability insurance
• several weeks of intensive German language course in Osnabrück
• fellowship seminars for mutual exchange
• invitation to important events of the DBU, such as the German Environmental Award
• networking between fellowship holders and alumni
• yearly meetings of alumni in their home countries
Initially, a grant is awarded for 6 months. The funding period can be extended to a maximum of 12 months after positive review of the
interim report, successful completion of the fellowship and good progress in German language skills.
How to apply?
The application takes place via an online tool in German or English and is possible twice a year. The application deadlines are the
same in all countries – annually on 5 March and 5 September. Exact information on the selection interviews and contact persons (country coordinators) in the individual countries can be found on our homepage at – https://www.dbu.de/2600.html
For more information please visit the official website.