Deadline: 31 January 2018
Open to: journalist worldwide
Benefits: monthly stipend GBP 2.000 for their living costs
Develop your academic understanding of the media industry, improve your knowledge and focus on an in-depth piece of research away from the pressure of tight deadlines.
The media industry is undergoing profound change, and evolving practice mean agile thinking and a deep understanding of the major issues and challenges are key to industry success.
As a Reuters Institute Journalist Fellow you’ll spend one, two or three terms at the University of Oxford, one of the world’s leading universities, where you’ll:
- Attend seminars given by a diverse and high-level range of guest speakers who will share their insights into key industry trends and developments;
- Work with an experienced supervisor, usually an Oxford academic, to produce a research paper which will be published and promoted by the Reuters Institute;
- Visit world-class news organizations and gain insights into how they are approaching industry challenges. Previous visits have included trips to Thomson Reuters, The Financial Times, The BBC, The Economist and The Guardian;
- Join trips to key UK cultural and political organizations and institutions. Previous destinations have included Oxfam, the House of Commons and Stratford-upon-Avon, home of Shakespeare;
- Exchange ideas and experiences with a diverse and international peer group. Around 25 Fellows a year join us from high-level media organizations all over the world. Strengthen your network, develop a global set of contacts and gain insights into international trends and developments;
- Benefit from the extensive learning facilities offered by the University of Oxford, including the world-famous Bodleian Library and access to various seminars and lectures across the university. You are also encouraged to engage with the university’s cutting-edge specialist research facilities, including centers for African, Middle Eastern, South Asian, Eastern and Western European, Japanese and Chinese studies;
- Be given visiting scholar status of Green Templeton College.
- The Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism offer fully funded Fellowship to well established mid-career journalists from throughout the world;
- Have a minimum of five years’ experience in any branch of journalism;
- Demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English to be able to participate fully in the life of the Programme and write a research paper in English of publishable quality;
- Be an ambitious, high-achieving journalist with a high level of written spoken English;
- Have a demonstrable desire to focus on a piece of research related to the media, which you will work on during your time at the Reuters Institute;
- Applications are accepted from freelance journalists, however they must be working journalists who plan to work as journalists after the Fellowship;
- Candidates who are carrying out a research project within one of the Reuters Institute of Journalism’s areas of interest will be given priority in the selection process.
Awards may include travel expenses (including air travel economy class) and a modest living allowance. This arrangement is subject to variation. Spouses and partners (including with dependents) are welcome but under no circumstances will the Fellowship Programme pay the travel or living costs of visiting spouses or dependents.
Journalists on Fellowships from the Thomson Reuters Foundation, Mona Megalli, Wincott and Google will receive a monthly stipend of £2,000 for their living costs during their stay in Oxford, as well as covering travel costs within reason.
How to Apply?
- Make sure you are eligible to apply;
- Decide which fellowship funding you will apply for;
- Check the application deadlines;
- Check which application materials you need to prepare;
- Write the required research proposal and personal statement;
- Choose your work samples;
- Ask 2 people to write letters of recommendation;
- Complete the online application form, remembering to attach all the required application materials.
For more information please visit the official website.