Deadline: 25 July 2018
Open to: members of the academic community across the globe
Award: USD 30,000
At Facebook, they strive to build communities across the globe and bring the world closer together. To do so, there is a need to reduce the barrier for everyone to participate, regardless of their backgrounds and abilities.
Lack of literacy skills has been shown as one of the top challenges for people to adopt technologies and take part in the social communications online. Although, as a whole, they have made a lot of progress in education and literacy over the past 5 decades, as of 2014, there were still 758 million adults – two-thirds of which are women – lacking basic reading and writing skills.
Research awardees will be expected to contribute to the field of literacy and accessibility through qualitative or quantitative research, including, but not limited to:
- Novel, scalable methods on assessing individual or population literacy levels;
- Understanding the experiences and challenges associated with literacy issues, eg learning disabilities or barriers due to English as a second language;
- Understanding the social, structural, and technology issues that prevent people from improving literacy skills;
- Understanding the impact of literacy skills on individuals and society;
- Digital, social technologies used to improve literacy level, especially, closing the gender gap in literacy rate;
- Design and development of technologies to elevate the literacy barrier, preferably with a focus on social and AI technologies.
Facebook is pleased to invite the academic community to respond to this call for research proposals to better understand and address global literacy and accessibility issues.
- Awards will be made up to 30,000 USD per proposal for projects up to one year in duration beginning August 2018;
- Representatives from each awarded project will be invited to workshop with other participants in November 2018 to share preliminary results, and are expected to attend an evaluation meeting in late January 2019. Opportunities for the second round of funding will be determined to the January meeting. Travel costs to Menlo Park CA, USA should be included in the proposed budget;
- Award recipients will be listed on the Facebook Research website and will be encouraged to openly publish any findings from their work as well as make any code available as open source.
How to Apply?
In order to apply fill the application form.
For more information please visit the official website.