Deadline: 31 May 2018
Open to: students pursuing their BA, MA or PhD degrees and have academic and/or professional interest and enthusiasm for the topics
Venue: 25th June – 6th July, 2018, Kőszeg, Hungary
Organized by the Institute of Advanced Studies Kőszeg (iASK) and the Institute for Social and European Studies (ISES), in cooperation with the University of Pannonia and supported by iASK, the Central European Initiative and UNESCO.
Since 1996 the international summer university has been a great opportunity for experts, activists, practitioners, policymakers, researchers, social scientists and students to meet and discuss contemporary challenges and international cooperation.
The International Summer University will focus on the creation, accumulation and dissemination of new knowledge. Through a multidisciplinary approach, the Insitute will engage with the complex relationship between political, ideological, economic and cultural dynamics of integration and disintegration in Europe. Politicians, social scientists, practitioners, cultural heritage experts and artists will ensure an exciting experience for participants. Students who are interested in local, national, regional, and transnational processes in a diverse and changing European space are invited to apply.
Reflecting on global transformations and increasing global crises, there is a need to develop new ways of thinking. As complex and interdependent strategic thinking gains momentum, new approaches by experts in many different fields need to be understood. For example, regional development strategies need to consider social and economic cohesion and sustainability in Europe, in the EU, and in Central Europe.
Kőszeg is called “The Jewel of Pannonia”. This beautiful medieval town borders 5 countries (Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary). This provides a rich cultural and regional added value and provides the opportunity for strong cross-border cooperation on many levels. In a region where the iron curtain was built, developing a regional knowledge center is exceptional and contributes to supporting opportunities furthering cooperation in an age of increasing uncertainties.
- European Security and Security Policy in a Changing Global Landscape;
- Remembering and Forgetting Communism;
- The Future of European Democracy and Democracy in a Global Context;
- Memory and Populist Politics in Popular Culture;
- At the intersection of Migration and Populist Politics;
- Societies at Risk: Climate Change and Sustainable, Resilient Societies;
- From Global to Local Sustainability: Microregional Aspects and the Circular Economy;
- Interreligious Dialogue.
Students pursuing their BA, MA or Ph.D. degrees and have academic and/or professional interest and enthusiasm for the topics.
- EUR 450 for participants from non-CEI countries;
- EUR 100 for participants from CEI countries.
The organizers provide:
- Educational programme and materials;
- Special events (opening-closing dinner), cross-border excursion;
- Accommodation with breakfast and lunch.
- Travel costs to/from Kőszeg;
How to apply?
Applicants should send the following:
- Completed application form;
- A 2-page statement on the topic of your academic interest (description of your studies, fields of research and their relation to the topics of the International Summer University);