Deadline: 12 October 2018
Open to: college junior, senior or graduate student enrolled in a degree program on Oct. 12, 2018
Benefits: paid internship
Washington Post invites you to be a reporter, photographer, videographer, multiplatform editor or producer, news or digital designer, graphics reporter or developer, or social media producer.
Washington Post interns have gone on to win Pulitzer Prizes, and in the case of Leonard Downie Jr., to become executive editor.
Roles for interns
- Reporters: Clear, concise, energetic writing is highly valued. Conventional coverage of news events should be demonstrated, but a higher value is placed upon enterprise reporting that shows creative, inventive or investigative skills. Writing for the web is also highly valued. Please indicate your reporting assignment preference: General Assignments (includes national and health/science), Foreign (assignments would be in the Washington newsroom), Arts, Entertainment and Culture, Local, Sports or Editorial. No more than three clips.
- Visual Journalists: For digital photographers, candidates must be proficient in Photoshop CS, photo management software, and Mac and PC platforms. Your application must include a portfolio. Videographers must be proficient in all aspects of digital video/audio and editing software, including Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere. Experience with voiceover narration and HTML is helpful. Required portfolio must be attached. Please indicate your assignment preference: Photography or Video.
- Multiplatform Editors: Successful editors must be able to edit for multiple platforms, writing headlines that are tailored for print and digital audiences. Editors must also have a keen understanding of style, grammar and sentence structure, and must be able to edit for clarity. We also value editors who can detect problems in stories and work with others to make them better. Writing captions for photo galleries, proofing pages and the ability to work calmly under intense deadlines are also requirements, as is strong news judgment. Include up to six examples of news or feature stories you have edited, preferably files that include a headline and caption(s) for web or print.
- Multiplatform Producers: The producer will be responsible for updating the web and mobile sites with fresh content and making sure article pages have critical web elements. They are looking for interns with solid news judgment, the ability to write smart headlines and blurbs and experience at packaging web stories, photo galleries and videos. An ideal candidate also will be adept at analyzing traffic data and web trends, understanding search engine optimization, be a quick and effective problem solver and be able to quickly learn to use new web publishing tools.
- Social Media Producers: The producers foster engaging and useful conversation on washingtonpost.com and social media platforms. We are looking for students who have an ability to identify and participate in online communities, big and small. Familiarity with web publishing and basic HTML is required. Please send at least one sample of an online discussion you’ve led and include links to your personal social media handles and/or accounts you have managed. The most successful candidates live and breathe the Internet and can write well, too.
- Audio Producers: The producer helps record, write and edit audio stories for long-form and short-form podcasts, and works collaboratively with reporters and editors to find and bring to life Post reporting. The ideal candidate has a background in sound design, audio production or both. The producers combine traditional journalistic skills with creative approaches to telling stories through sound. They also value a producer who brings creative approaches to promotion and community-building. Proficiency in either Adobe Audition or Pro Tools is required. Please include three links to audio clips with your application.
- You must be a college junior, senior or graduate student enrolled in a degree program on Oct. 12, 2018;
- There is no age requirement;
- You must have had at least one professional news media job or internship.
- It is a paid internship;
- For summer 2018, the salary was USD 750 per week.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
For more information, please visit the official web page.