Deadline: 31 March 2019
Open to: candidates holding a minimum MSc degree from any country
Benefits: fully funded 4 year scholarship
According to an agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 200 students/scholars from all over the world will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years.
This CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme provides students/scholars that are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue doctoral degrees at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China.
The funding duration of the fellowship is up to 4 years WITH NO EXTENSION, divided into:
- Maximum 1-year study of courses and participation in centralized training at UCAS/USTC, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Chinese Culture;
- Practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC or CAS institutes.
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2019;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
- Not hold Chinese citizenship;
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC (criteria of UCAS/criteria of USTC);
- Hold a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester: 1 September 2019;
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreement;
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language.
Thanks to generous contribution of CAS, fellowship awardees will receive a monthly stipend (to cover accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of around USD 1017.77 or around USD 1163.16 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all doctoral candidates after admission. All awardees will also be provided tuition and application fee waivers.
How to apply?
In order to successfully apply for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship, applicants are requested to follow a few key steps that are indicated in the official webpage.