Deadline: 29 April 2019
Open to: applicants worldwide
Awards: ranging from USD 20,000 to USD 40,000
Facebook is calling for proposals for pilot and early-stage research that extends computer vision technologies in developing countries. It specifically seeks projects that address the technical challenges impeding computer vision in these contexts, including data and hardware limitations and better integration of new information sources, such as high-resolution satellite imagery. Competitive applications will similarly leverage computer vision to achieve global development priorities, especially those captured in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
This opportunity is open to applicants worldwide from academic and/or research institutions that are eligible for research funding. This includes individual researchers addressing a well-defined problem, or multiple university departments. They encourage emerging scholars to apply.
Additional provisions are listed below.
– Awards must comply with the applicable US and international laws, regulations, and policies;
– Applicants must be the Principal Investigator on any resulting award;
– Applicants may submit one proposal per solicitation;
– Organizations must be a nonprofit or non-governmental organization with recognized legal status in their respective country (equal to 501(c)(3) status under the United States Internal Revenue Code).
Awards will be made in amounts ranging from USD 20,000 to USD 40,000 for projects up to 6 months in duration. Their goal is to support the implementation of computer vision applications, which require further testing, pilot data and/or partnership development. Applicants requesting higher budget amounts, however, will need to demonstrate more robust research designs, novelty and potential to achieve impact. No Facebook data will be provided to award recipients.
How to apply?
Proposals should include:
– A summary of the project (1-2 pages) explaining the area of focus, a conceptual and methodological distinction between the pilot study and any future follow-on studies, a description of techniques, the research’s applicability to Facebook, a timeline with milestones and expected outcomes
– A budget description (1 page) including an approximate cost of the award and explanation of how funds would be spent
– Curriculum Vitae for all key project participants
– Organization details; this will include tax information and administrative contact details
In order to apply, please fill the application.
For more information, please visit the official web page.