Deadline: 30 June 2019
Open to: writers who has minimal publication experience
Benefits: mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and online pieces + USD 2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship
The Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers applications are now open! A series of three-month intensive writing fellowships, the goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. All fellows will work under the guidance of Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during their fellowship period:
- Sexual politics
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
The fellowships were created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, they strongly encourage you to apply. If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, they strongly encourage you to apply. If you are a writer still figuring out what subjects obsess you, they strongly encourage you to apply.
During the 3-month fellowship, fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, and even infographic;
- Produce at least one long-form article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: A Feminist Response to Pop Culture;
- Participate in biweekly discussions (by phone or Zoom if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff;
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and online pieces;
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Receive a USD 2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
How to apply?
- Read the FAQ’s. But seriously, please be sure to read the FAQ’s before filling out your application.
- A cover letter of no more than 600 words that describes your interest in the fellowship area of your choice. What are the topics you’re passionate about?
- What are the facets and angles of this subject that you think are underreported and under-discussed elsewhere in the media?
- What unique experiences and perspectives will you bring to the topic?
- A CV (no more than 2 pages) that includes a list of any previous publications, if applicable. (You can still apply to a Bitch Media Writing Fellowship even if you don’t have any clips or prior publications).
- Three (3) relevant writing samples
- Short answer questions to help Bitch get to know you
- Applications will only be accepted via Submittable.
In order to apply and for more information, please visit the official web page.