Deadline: 30 September 2019
Open to: new and amateur writers of science fiction and fantasy around the world
Awards: cash prizes and trophies
L. Ron Hubbard’s Writers of the Future Contest is an opportunity for new writers of science fiction and fantasy to have their work judged by some of the masters in the field and discovered by a wide audience.
- No entry fee is required, and all rights in the story remain the property of the author. All types of science fiction, fantasy and dark fantasy are welcome;
- By submitting to the Contest, the entrant agrees to abide by all Contest rules.
- All entries must be original works by the entrant, in English. Plagiarism, which includes the use of third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters or another person’s universe, without written permission, will result in disqualification. Excessive violence or sex, determined by the judges, will result in disqualification. Entries may not have been previously published in professional media;
- To be eligible, entries must be works of prose, up to 17,000 words in length;
- The Contest is open only to those who have not professionally published a novel or short novel, or more than one novelette, or more than three short stories, in any medium. Professional publication is deemed to be payment of at least eight cents per word, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits;
- Entries submitted in hard copy must be typewritten or a computer printout in black ink on white paper, printed only on the front of the paper, double-spaced, with numbered pages. All other formats will be disqualified. Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author’s legal name, a pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, e-mail address and an approximate word count. Every subsequent page must carry the title and a page number, but the author’s name must be deleted to facilitate fair, anonymous judging. Entries submitted electronically must be double-spaced and must include the title and page number on each page, but not the author’s name. Electronic submissions will separately include the author’s legal name, pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, e-mail address and approximate word count;
- Manuscripts will be returned after judging only if the author has provided return postage on a self-addressed envelope;
- We accept only entries that do not require a delivery signature for us to receive them;
- The Contest has four quarters, beginning on October 1, January 1, April 1 and July 1. The year will end on September 30. To be eligible for judging in its quarter, an entry must be postmarked or received electronically no later than midnight on the last day of the quarter.;
- Late entries will be included in the following quarter and the Contest Administration will so notify the entrant;
- Each entrant may submit only one manuscript per quarter. Winners are ineligible to make further entries in the Contest;
- All entries for each quarter are final. No revisions are accepted;
- Entries will be judged by professional authors. The decisions of the judges are entirely their own and are final and binding;
- Winners in each quarter will be individually notified of the results by phone, mail or e-mail;
- This Contest is void where prohibited by law;
- To send your entry electronically, go to: writersofthefuture.com/enter-writer-contest and follow the instructions.
Prizes of USD 1000, USD 750 and USD 500 are awarded every three months. From the four quarterly 1st Place winners each year, a panel of judges select one story as the grand prize winner. The writer of the grand-prize-winning story receives the L. Ron Hubbard Golden Pen Award and an additional USD 5000 cash prize.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application form.
For more information about the contest, please visit the official web page.