Deadline: 13 December 2019
Open to: applicants aged 18 or over
Benefits: all-expenses-paid trip to London to attend the 2020 Thomson Foundation five-week summer course
The Journalism Now Scholar programme is back! Hone your newsgathering, storytelling and multimedia journalism skills in their five-week programme with the help of internationally renowned journalist, Ewen MacAskill.
You will take seven of our CPD-accredited online courses including Mobile Journalism, Social Media Newsgathering, Journalism Across Multiple Platforms, and Data Journalism, and will work on one or more stories that you will publish.
Journalism Now is a series of online interactive courses designed and led by industry experts providing the latest in digital and multimedia skills. The global learning environment gives exclusive access to live training and mentoring sessions, run by leading journalists, and a unique knowledge-sharing platform.
Starting 1st November until 13th December, 2019, you will:
- Know what good journalism looks like and why;
- Improve your newsgathering skills, including social media verification and the use of data journalism techniques;
- Use smartphones to produce multimedia storytelling;
- Engage your audience by making your content engaging and relevant;
- Understand how to optimize your content for your chosen platforms.
Ewen MacAskill will guide you through the program with interactive live sessions and ongoing feedback.
The competition is open to entrants aged 18 or over.
The highest performer will be invited on an all-expenses-paid trip to London to attend the 2020 Thomson Foundation five-week summer course, which includes a mixture of masterclasses, workshops and practical training and a week’s placement at a leading UK media organisation. A small number of top performers will also be acknowledged on our website and social media.
How to apply?
1. Complete seven Thomson Foundation online courses (you don’t need to re-take a course if you have previously completed it).
- Building Trust and Reputation OR Ethical Journalist’s Toolkit
- Social Media Newsgathering
- Data Journalism: Getting Started
- Mobile Journalism: Getting Started
- Online Media Production
- Growing and Engaging Your Audience
- Journalism Across Multiple Platforms
2. Attend or watch the replay of up to four webinars with Ewen MacAskill.
3. Work on and publish a multimedia story.
For more information, and to apply please visit this website.