Deadline: 14 February 2020
Open to: any journalist with at least five years of full-time employment in print, broadcast or online journalism currently employed as a non-US journalist working outside the United States
Location: United States
Each year hundreds of talented journalists apply for 10 fellowship WPI slots. A selection committee of seasoned journalists and corporate communications specialists, all with international experience, chooses among the best of the best.
Gain access to, engage in and observe the role, responsibility and impact of a free press firsthand in one of the world’s largest, most diverse democracies. Through an immersive program, you will learn how the U.S. founding principles of a free press and journalistic best practices help foster transparency and accountability of government institutions, businesses, and organizations, including the most powerful ones.
In a guided tour across the country – including Chicago, New York City, Miami, Austin (Texas), San Francisco, and more – the selectees will meet with and interview subject matter experts in media outlets, think tanks and advocacy organizations. They will hear firsthand accounts of new business models being tested and implemented among national and local media outlets.
At least five years of full-time employment in print, broadcast or online journalism, including:
- News or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio, television, websites or online publications;
- Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers;
- Those who supervise journalists are eligible if they also have at least five years as a working journalist;
- Any journalism-related work completed as a university student does not count toward experience. Those who work in public relations or at organizations whose primary business is not the media are not eligible;
- Must be currently employed as a non-U.S. journalist working outside of the United States;
- Fluency in both written and spoken English;
- Potential for leadership.
WPI pays the following program expenses:
- Roundtrip airfare to the United States;
- Travel within the United States related to the WPI program;
- Fellows receive a modest daily allowance to purchase food.
Fellows are responsible for personal expenses, such as phone, camera, postage, and clothing.
How to apply?
For more information, please visit the official web page.