Deadline: 31 October, 2020 for short animation and 10 November, 2020 for feature animation
Open to: anyone interested
Benefits: cash awards for excellent films
Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2021 (TAAF2021) calls for feature and short animated films with high potential and strong messages from all over the world. The aim is to screen high-quality animated films superior in originality, provide opportunities to inspire audience as well as creators, cultivate new talents, and contribute in the development and promotion of animation cultures and industry.
Festival Period: March 12 (Fri) – 15 (Mon), 2021
Venue: Ikebukuro, Tokyo
*Any animated films longer than 30 min. but less than 60 min. shall be applied to the category of Feature Animation first. The TAAF office will contact the applicant later to notify which category is appropriate for the film.
- The film must have been completed on, or after, January 1, 2019 (regardless of country of origin, and whether it is professional, amateur or student work).
- The film that has been theatrically released, broadcast, or distributed for profit in Japan for a certain period prior to March 11, 2021 is not eligible for the Competition (such film would qualify under the “Anime of the Year” category). Screening at film festivals and previews are not considered “for-profit” herein.
- The film that has been nominated to TAAF in the past will not be accepted.
- The screening material should be either of the following: Apple ProRes (1920 x 1080 pix.) or DCP(for Feature Animation).
The following prizes are awarded to excellent films:
- Grand Prize (both for Feature and Short, a cash award of 500,000 yen, around EUR 4129.84)
- Award of Excellence (both for Feature and Short, a cash award of 100,000 yen, around EUR 825.96) and other prizes (if applicable).
- The nominated films will be publicly screened at designated theaters during the festival period in Tokyo, during which time final judging will be conducted by the Competition Jury.
How to apply?
For more details, please visit the official website.