Deadline: 14 February 2022
Open to: experienced journalists from all over the world
Benefits: a monthly stipend of £2,000, the coverage of the cost of travel to and from the UK, visa costs, and other benefits
The Journalist Fellowship Programme at the Reuters Institute is one of the world’s leading schemes for practicing, mid-career journalists to take some time out from their day jobs to explore journalism in depth.
Fellowships last three or six months, depending on their funding. They begin in either October, January or April. We accept around 30 Journalist Fellows from around the world each year, each of whom bring fascinating insights and a wealth of experience to the institute.
Through personal research, seminars, networking events and discussions with your peers, you will further your understanding of journalism, the news industry and your place in it. While you are in Oxford, you will work on a project that will be of direct impact to you, your career, your newsroom and the wider media industry, bringing in what you learn during your time in the fellowship. This is a programme for working journalists and editors who will return to journalism after spending a few months with us.
- Our Journalist Fellowships are open to journalists from all over the world, including Europe, Africa, the Asia-Pacific region, North America, and Latin America.
- To be considered for one of our journalist fellowships, you must have a minimum of five years’ journalistic experience, or in rare cases demonstrate the equivalent level of expertise.
- You will be able to understand and join in discussions in English. You can find more information on the university’s English language requirements here.
- Most journalists on the programme are fully funded. Successful applicants get their fees covered and receive a monthly stipend of £2,000, which will be enough to cover the cost of accommodation, food, and general living expenses. We will also cover the cost of travel to and from the UK and any visa costs.
- Additionally, some Journalist Fellows are employees of sponsoring organisations which run their own application process and selection criteria. Please contact Reuters Institute if you want more information on joining the fellowship with these or any other sources of funding.