Deadline: 28 February 2020
Open to: current graduate research students and early-career researchers
Benefits: free accommodation and a number of scholarships to help cover the cost of transport
Applications are open for the 2020 China in the Urban Age Graduate Workshop. The University of Sydney China Studies Centre is organizing the second graduate workshop under our multidisciplinary research agenda China in the Urban Age. The workshop theme is Health, Food, and Waste in the Chinese City: practical, utopian and systemic solutions, seeking to include contributions from any branch of the sciences, humanities and social sciences.
The urban age in China has been an age of waste and excess. Waste happens at the point of production and consumption, from sometimes honest efforts that do not consider the unexpected consequences, but also from the dominance of short-term solutions aimed at maximizing profit. More is often seen as better – more value, more efficiency, more popularity. But when is it excess? Such values as waste, profit, excess, surplus, all warrant reconsideration, in turn reframing concepts of technology, development, and progress. These questions are of historical and contemporary relevance to societies everywhere, so what can China learn from other contexts, and what can they learn from China?
- This workshop is open to current graduate research students and early-career researchers (up to five years post-PhD) who have a broad interest in questions of health, food and waste, sustainability and technology, and whose research relates to China.
- Applications are encouraged from all fields, including the material and environmental sciences. politics, history, the arts and cultural studies, architecture, literature and the critical combination of such fields (e.g. environmental humanities).
- There is no enrollment fee for the graduate workshop.
- Participants will receive free accommodation.
- A number of scholarships will be available to help cover the cost of transport to Suzhou, relative to the country of residence.
How to apply?
You can apply using the following link.
For more information, please visit this website.