Deadline: 1 October 2014
Open to: scholars from around the world who are already enrolled in or who have recently completed a PhD
Fellowship: an annual stipend from $31,000 – $67,000
The Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences (including history and law) with a command of the language, history, or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present. Academy Scholars are appointed for two years by the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies and are provided time, guidance, and access to Harvard University facilities. The Senior Scholars, a distinguished group of senior Harvard University faculty members, act as mentors to the Academy Scholars to help them achieve their intellectual potential.
The Academy Scholars Program is open to scholars from all countries and citizenships. They consider applicants who are already enrolled in or who have recently completed a PhD or equivalent doctoral program in the social sciences. Predoctoral candidates must have finished all field research and be in the writing stage of their dissertation at the time of application. If you have completed a PhD program, the PhD completion date must be within three years of application deadline.
Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $67,000, and predoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $31,000. This stipend is supplemented by funding for conference and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage.
The following materials are required for a complete application:
- a current CV, including a list of publications (include 3 copies);
- a statement of the applicant’s proposed research—usually, preparing the dissertation for publication or completion—including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work (no more than 2,500 words; include 3 copies);
- an official copy of each graduate transcript;
- three letters of recommendation;
- a cover letter which succinctly states the applicant’s academic field, country or region of specialization, and proposed or actual research topic (include 3 copies).
Application deadline is 1 October.
Finalists will be invited to Cambridge for interviews with the Senior Scholars on 21 November 2014. The Harvard Academy will arrange and pay for all travel and hotel accommodations for the finalists to interview in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
For further information, please visit the official website.