Deadline: 5 October 20125
Open to: students, young experts, researches
Venue: 10 – 13 November 2015, Zagreb, Croatia
SOCIOLOGY STUDENTS’ CLUB “DISKREPANCIJA” issues A CALL FOR PAPERS for the upcoming international symposium “NATURE and SOCIETY: CULTURE, DEVELOPMENT and ENVIRONMENT”, which will take place from 10th – 13th of November, 2015 at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Zagreb.
Nature and society are most commonly understood as two inseparable elements of reality. Human dependence on his/her environment and their mutual relationship of creating and restraining are central theme of the symposium. In this thematic framework is emphasized internal as well as external conditions for emergence and subsistence of societies in its relation to culture as identity and culture as social practice. The intention is to shed a light on how globalization affected and stimulated changes in society and nature and to what extent those changes affected identity, culture, religion and knowledge in the era of globalization. Sustainability and development are accompanied by expansion of technology and risk which is inherent in everyday life of societies. The result of accelerated rapid development is experienced as insecurity and permanent growth as ideology. Thus, sustainability and development are considered as challenges for social sciences. Such a set of phenomena necessarily demands interdisciplinary treatment, so contributions not only from sociologists, but also students, experts and researchers from other disciplines (philosophy, political science, history, anthropology, journalism, etc.) are being expected as well. Aside from a presentations section, an organizing public forum and roundtable discussions in cooperation with professors and civil society associations are being planned.
Suggested topics may include (but are not limited to):
- CULTURE – Cultural Determinism – The Clash of Cultures – Norms and Traditions – Sports, Competition, Play – Culture, Nation, Identity – The Integration of Cultural Minorities – Migrations – Origins and Decadence of Civilizations or of Cultures – Subcultures – The Art as the Reflection of Time – Culture in the Postmodern Period – Is Multiculturalism Dead?;
- RELIGION and THE WORLD – Religion as the Element of Development – External Factors for Origins and Development of Religion – Sacred and Profane – Desecularization? – Religion’s Social Functions – Religious Fundamentalism and Terrorism;
- ECONOMY and ECOLOGY – Religion and Economy – Is Sustainable Development Myth or Potential – Ecology and Technology – Labour and Corruption – Permanent Growth as Ideology – Risk Society – Ecofeminism – Geographical Impacts on Economic Systems;
- KNOWLEDGE and SCIENCE – Education – Nature and Society – Artificial division of World – Environmental and Social Conditions of Knowledge – Science as Ideology – Social Production of Knowledge – Sociology of Education – Science and Bioethics;
- ORGANIZATION of SOCIETY – Family: its functions and its forms – Stratification – cultural and environmental factors;
- ANTROPHOCENTRISM and TRANSHUMANISM;
- SOCIAL and CULTURAL CAPITAL;
- COUNTRY – CITY: URBAN AND RURAL SOCIOLOGY;
- SOCIOLOGY of TOURISM;
- SOCIOLOGY of NUTRITION;
- SOCIOLOGY of HEALTH;
- HUMANS AND LANGUAGE;
International symposium is opened to all students, young experts and researchers, who are interested in the areas of sociology or cultural and humanities studies.
Participation at the symposium is free of charge. Accommodation for the presenters will be financially covered by the organizers.
How to apply?
You can apply for symposium participation by filling out the application at official web-site HERE. The deadline for applying and sending an abstract (up to 250 words) is October 5th, 2015. Upon admission, you are to send the paper to be presented no later than October 25th, 2015. Abstracts and papers (the language of which must be Croatian or English) are to be sent to the following e-mail address: [email protected].
The official language of the symposium is Croatian, with the possibility of presenting in English.
For more information please check the official web-site.