Deadline: 15 July 2015
Open to: early and mid-career journalists, freelance or staff, covering health stories from any country within the WHO Europe region
Fellowship: 4 night’s accommodation plus a grant of up to EUR 500 for travel
The European School of Oncology (ESO) is collaborating with the European CanCer Organisation (ECCO) to offer grants to up to 15 European health journalists to attend the 18th ECCO – 40th ESMO European Cancer Congress. This is also an opportunity to make contacts, hone skills and learn about what makes the difference in cancer care. Although plenty of advanced science will be discussed, this Congress mainly focuses on issues that are of greatest concern to patients and professionals – skills, organisation, patient involvement, how clinical trials are conducted etc. It is a very practical Congress that should be of great help to any journalist interested in reporting on cancer – one of the greatest challenges for medicine, health care, social care and for good journalism. The Fellowship will offer full access to the Congress and to the Press Office. In addition there will be a daily meeting of the ESO group on a particular issue so those attending can question some specialists in more detail and share experiences.
Eligible journalists are:
- Early and mid-career journalists, freelance or staff, covering health stories in print/broadcast/online mass media, who would not normally have the chance to attend ESMO Congress;
- From any country within the WHO Europe region;
- With an interest in reporting on medical progress from the perspective of the practical implications for patients.
There are a limited amount of fellowships available. Successful candidates will receive:
- 4 night’s accommodation arranged by ESO (26, 27, 28 and 29 September);
- A grant of up to EUR 500 (max) for travel/transfers (travel must be arranged by the participant, it will be refunded after the congress and on production of travel receipts);
- A per diem of EUR 30 per day for food (to be refunded after the congress).
How to apply?
For more information please follow the official website.