Deadline: 1 September 2015
Open to: applicants with MA or equivalent in History of Ideas/Intellectual History or in related disciplines
Fellowship: NOK 430,500 – 475,400 per annum (approximately EUR 48,870 – 53,970)
Two PhD Research Fellowships in History of Ideas, within the field of Norwegian/Nordic intellectual history/history of ideas, are vacant in the Department of Philosophy, Classics, History of Arts and Ideas at the University of Oslo (UiO). The candidates will be affiliated with interdisciplinary research groups at the Faculty of the Humanities connected to the Nordic initiative at UiO. Applicants must present an independent project that lies within the areas of these research networks.
Preference may be given to applicants whose research projects are related to the following:
- The project “History and Histories in Eighteenth Century Denmark-Norway”;
- The research network “The protestant common culture of the Nordic countries (1520 – 1814)”;
- The research networks “Raising the Nordic Model Citizen”/“Nordic Childhoods”.
The successful candidates must participate in the research training program organized by the Faculty of Humanities (cf. regulations and supplementary provisions for the faculty’s researcher education) and must engage in the designated research activities on a full-time basis. The persons who are appointed will be enrolled in the Faculty’s organized researcher training.
The academic study will terminate in a doctoral thesis which will be defended at the Faculty of Humanities, leading to a PhD-degree. The successful candidates are expected to join the existing research milieus or networks and contribute to their development. The posts are available for a period of three years starting late autumn 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter. Currently, PhD fellows who successfully submit their thesis within the three year period are granted an additional fellowship year.
To be eligible for the position, applicants must have:
- A Master’s degree in History of Ideas/Intellectual History or in related disciplines which are relevant to the topic of the doctoral dissertation;
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position.
In assessing the application, special emphasis will be placed on:
- The project’s scientific and innovative merits;
- The project’s relevance for the main research areas;
- The applicant’s academic and personal qualifications to execute the project within the given time frame;
- Good collaboration skills and the ability to contribute to interdisciplinary academic communities.
The position is remunerated by salary of the level 50 – 56 NOK 430,500 – 475,400, (approximately EUR 48,870 – 53,970) depending on qualifications. Moreover, research fellows will obtain attractive welfare benefits and pension arrangements in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. The successful candidates will be expected to have their residence and workplace in Oslo, and to be active members the academic community at the History of Ideas section.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 1 September 2015. Applicants must submit the following attachments with the electronic application, preferably in pdf format:
- Letter of application describing qualifications (maximum 2 pages);
- Curriculum Vitae that includes an overview of previously published academic/scientific works;
- Project description, including a detailed progress plan for the project (maximum 5 pages, see Template for project descriptions);
- Completed application form for admission to the doctoral degree program;
- Certified copies of diplomas, grade transcripts and other testimonials;
- In the event of diplomas from other countries: printouts of prospectuses or similar that describe the content and framework of the courses of study on which the application is based;
- Names and contact details of two references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone).
The application may be written in English or in any of the Scandinavian languages. As a rule, interviews will be conducted as part of the appointment process.
For more information please visit the official website.