Deadline: 1 December 2015
Open to: candidates with a legal background with professional experience in the field of international law
Fellowship: travel costs in economy class, accommodation, medical insurance, participation in the Fellowship Programme, the training material and the registration fee for The Hague Academy of International Law, stipend to cover other living expenses
The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme is organized by the Codification Division of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs. The Fellowship Programme provides high-quality training by prominent international law scholars and practitioners on a broad range of core subjects of international law. In addition, the interactive nature of the training allows the participants to share experiences and exchange ideas, which promotes greater understanding and cooperation on contemporary issues of international law.
This Programme is intended to enable qualified professionals, in particular government officials and teachers of international law from developing countries and countries with emerging economies, to deepen their knowledge of international law and of the legal work of the United Nations and its associated bodies. The Fellowship Programme accommodates up to 21 participants.
The Fellowship Programme consists of an annual six-week summer course at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the Netherlands from 27 June to 5 August 2016. The participants attend lectures and seminars in international law organized by the Codification Division as well as the public international law session at The Hague Academy of International Law.
- Candidates must have legal background with professional experience in the field of international law;
- The selected participants are required to submit a medical certificate of good health and to certify that they are able to attend the entire course period;
- The 2016 Fellowship Programme will be conducted in French. Fluency in spoken and written French is required.
The fellowships cover the fellowship recipient’s travel costs in economy class, accommodation, medical insurance, participation in the Fellowship Programme, the training material and the registration fee for The Hague Academy of International Law. In accordance with the policies and procedures governing the administration of United Nations fellowships, participants will also receive a stipend to cover other living expenses.
How to apply?
- Complete the application form in French, typewritten. Answers should be clear and as detailed as possible. If you need extra space, you may attach additional pages. Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- The “Letter of Transmission” must be completed and signed by a senior official of the institution that presents the candidate’s application;
- A candidate whose mother tongue or language of instruction is not French must submit evidence of his/her ability to attend and participate in lectures and seminars conducted in French (e.g., diploma of courses conducted in French, language test certificate, extensive work experience in French).
The application should be sent by email to: [email protected] latest by 1 December 2015.
Two versions of the application form must be submitted:
- One scanned copy of the signed original (for example in pdf, tif, or jpg);
- One electronic version (MS Word or equivalent) of the application.
For more information please visit the official website.