Deadline: 18 October 2015
Open to: worldwide designers from all fields
Prize: invitation to Milan Design Week 2016, up to 3 million yen (around EUR 21,845) to assist in production costs of prototype, mentorship
Lexus was launched in the US in 1989 as a premium car brand from Japan. As a truly global premium car brand with the vision of Progressive Luxury, Lexus has been pursuing and presenting different values from those of conventional luxury cars. Lexus thinks that “design” is a process in problem solving and a solution to shape a better society and future.
Lexus is announcing the continuation of the Lexus Design Award to support future creators who can enrich the world. By providing the opportunity to embody unique ideas, create and exhibit prototypes through sessions with world-famous designers as mentors, they hope to help next generation talent flourish.
The theme for the Lexus Design Award 2016 is ‘Anticipation’. At Lexus, they strive to develop products and services by anticipating the needs of people and society. This year’s applicants are encouraged to submit innovative designs and unique interpretations that are true to the essence of the theme.
The Lexus Design Award 2016 is open to professionals, students and design enthusiasts from every country in the world and only to individuals who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry. Minors and individuals who have no or only limited legal capacity may not participate.
Employees of Toyota Motor Corporation, Lexus International, design-boom srl and each of their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, distributors, and each of such employees’, immediate family members and/or those living in the same household (whether legally related or not) are not eligible to enter the Contest or win a prize.
- Consistent with the ides of Lexus “Design”;
- The Work must be submitted to the Contest section found on the Contest Site. Images and text must be in digital format. Entries will NOT be accepted via physical delivery;
- The Work may be produced in any medium but must be submitted to the Contest section as low res JPEG (or JPG) format, GIF format and FLV format for video files; All digital files must be 200 KB or smaller, and must be of exact width of 818 pixels / 72 dpi, RGB color mode. FLV format video files must be max. 10 MB.
- The Work must not be inappropriate, libelous or defamatory, harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, profane, excessively violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or offensive, obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit.
- Except for materials that are in the public domain, each Submission, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material created by the Entrant, or for which Entrant has all rights required to comply with the official rules, and suitable for presentation in a public forum. Entries that contain brand names, trademarks or company logos are subject to disqualification.
- The Work must not involve physical harm to any person or animal;
- Submissions may only include original music created and performed solely by Entrant (i.e., songs must be composed, lyrics written and performed by Entrant). Submissions that include any other songs or recordings are inappropriate and will be subject to disqualification.
- The Work may not use any watermarks or artist signatures;
- It is important that you keep your design(s) confidential until the results of the competition are published;
- The Work and Submission must not contain any viruses, worms, corrupt files, Trojan horses, or other forms of corruptive code or content that may harm or compromise the Contest Site and/or the proper conduct of the Contest.
Four Prototype Winners will each receive a mentorship by an acknowledged professional to develop a model of his/her submitted Work. The Sponsor will cover the prototype production costs up to 3 million Yen (EUR 21,845) includes tax, customs duty, construction fee and part of a packaging fee. Prototypes will be developed through sessions with the mentors.
In addition, the 4 Prototype Winners plus 8 additional panel finalists will receive a ‘Trip Prize’ to Milan, Italy during Milan Design Week 2016 (taking place between 12-17 April, 2016) and are required to attend the Lexus Design Award 2016 Exhibition and Ceremony, where the four prototypes, and panel displays for the other eight awarded designs, will be exhibited.
Please read full description of benefits in the official rules.
How to apply?
Each Entrant will be asked to fill in and submit an official registration form which requests from Entrant, among other things, his/her full name, home address, e-mail address, the field of activity of the Entrant’s current profession or business (related to or connected with the creative arts community). There is no limit on the number of entries per person.
Deadline for applying is 18 October 2015.
Send your inquiries to [email protected] and make sure to write ‘LEXUS DESIGN AWARD 2016’ in the subject line
For more information please visit the official website.