Deadline: 15 February 2016
Open to: non U.S. journalist working outside of the United States with at least five years full-time employment in print, broadcast, or online journalism
Fellowship: modest per diem to cover such things as meals, accommodations and travel expenses
The Word Press Institute (WPI) fellowship is offered to 10 journalists from countries around the world. It provides immersion into the governance, politics, business, media, journalistic ethics and culture of the United States for experienced international journalists, through a demanding schedule of study, travel and interviews throughout the country. The program begins in mid-August and ends in mid-October.
The fellows will spend three weeks in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, and then travel to several U.S. cities, including New York and Washington, D.C., for briefings, interviews and visits. They will return to Minnesota for the final week of the program.
- At least five (5) years full-time employment in print, broadcast, or online journalism;
- Must be currently employed as a non U.S. journalist working outside of the United States;
- Fluency in both written and spoken English;
- Potential for leadership.
WPI pays all program costs, including transportation to the U.S. and back, all transportation within the U.S. related to the WPI program, and all lodging costs. In addition, a modest daily per diem for food is provided.
How to apply?
During the online application process, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Applicant information;
- Employment history and education;
- Two essays are required as part of the online application:
- Please describe your professional goals and achievements (in 200-500 words);
- Why are you seeking a WPI Fellowship? What do you expect to gain? What do you expect to contribute? (200-500 words).
- Color photo of yourself;
- Work samples;
- Awards, fellowships;
- Three letters of recommendation.
Deadline for applying is 15 February 2016.
For more information please visit the official website.