Deadline: 19 July 2016
Open to: product design, industrial design, and engineering university students – or graduates within the past 4 years
Awards: International Winner USD 45,000 + USD 7,500 for Universities / International Runner-up USD 7,500 / National Winner USD 3,500.
The James Dyson Award is an international design award that celebrates, encourages and inspires the next generation of design engineers. It’s run by the James Dyson Foundation, James Dyson’s charitable trust, as part of its mission to get young people excited about design engineering. James Dyson Award is looking for designers who think differently to create products that work better.
Engineers who follow an iterative design process. Rough and ready prototypes. Products that have a significant and practical purpose, are commercially viable, and are designed with sustainability in mind.
- Open to product design, industrial design, and engineering university students – or graduates within the past 4 years;
- Have studied in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK or US;
- Teams are also encouraged to enter, provided at least one team member studies (or has studied within the last 4 years) product design, industrial design, or engineering at university;
- If applying as a team, all other team members must be current university students (or graduates within the past 4 years) in one of the countries listed above;
- All students, whether individual entrants or team entrants, are required to provide proof of student or alumni status.
- USD 45,000 to the student or student team;
- USD 7,500 to the student(s)’ university department;
- James Dyson Award certificate;
International Runners-Up (up to two): USD 7,500 to the student or student team + James Dyson Award certificate;
National Winner (one from each region): USD 3,500 to the student or student team + James Dyson Award certificate;
National Finalists (up to four from each region): James Dyson Award certificate.
How to apply?
You will need to create a profile on the website HERE and include a copy of your student or alumni status documentation. Once you create a profile you can upload a project. You can view this sample project as a guide. To upload a project you will need to provide:
- Description of your design;
- Images portraying the development of your design;
- A video is strongly recommended, but not essential.
For more information, please check the official website.