Deadline: 31 August 2016
Open to: applicants of non-Japanese nationality, with a PhD (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications and who are 49 years old or under
Fellowship: stipend for research and stay, insurance, air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and lump sum on arrival
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is currently accepting applications for its 2017 fellowship program with the theme “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”. The MIF is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes.
Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority. Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry).
- Non-Japanese nationality;
- Hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications;
- Be 49 years old or under;
- Have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan;
- Should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present;
- Should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF;
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
For a period of from three to six months; the number of fellowships is about 20 persons each year. The selected candidate will receive stipend for research and stay, insurance, air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and lump sum on arrival.
How to apply?
For more details about the fellowship and requested documents, please download the following PDF file of “Fellowship Announcement.” Deadline of submitting application documents is 31 August 2016.
For more information, please visit the official website.