Deadline: 28 April 2016
Open to: holders of Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience or two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in disciplines related to sustainability studies
Scholarship: a monthly allowance of JPY 150,000 (EUR 1,185) for maximum of 36 months; travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs; the tuition fees
The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) is a leading research and teaching institute based in Tokyo, Japan. The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance, and they will be considered as candidates for the award of the scholarship.
The PhD programme in Sustainability Science aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science.
The programme takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
Applicants are eligible to apply if their are from the developing countries listed in the latest OECD DAC list. Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- Strong interest in sustainability studies;
- Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes or two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale on at least one of the Master’s degrees earned;
- English language proficiency.
- The scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY (EUR 1,185) for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months;
- Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student;
- The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
How to apply?
Applicants may register for the course and scholarship via the application form. Application deadline is 28 April 2016.
For more information please visit the official webpage.