Deadline: 14 August 2016
Open to: candidates with completed PhD; and an established track record in the research field of Europe in its global contexts;
Fellowship: monthly grant and accommodation provided
The Institute for European Global Studies of the University of Basel, Switzerland, welcomes applications for three Visiting Fellowships (three months in the academic year 2017, starting in spring or in autumn) in the field of European Global Studies, with special focus on the topic area “Contesting Sovereignty: Statehood, Governmentality, Assemblages”.
The Institute for European Global Studies is an interdisciplinary research institute at Switzerland’s oldest university, the University of Basel. It develops new interdisciplinary concepts and methodologies designed to critically examine European integration as well as the relations that have shaped Europe in connection with other continents. We welcome applications from researchers who are interested in investigating actors and agencies in global contexts and who enjoy adopting a conceptual approach beyond the nation-state.
Applications on “contesting sovereignty” should be related to one of the following fields:
- Transformations in the governance of capital and of economic flows as a central element to understand the restructuring of sovereign power within and beyond Europe;
- Research in the field of political and social theory;
- Reconfigurations of social and political relations as important factors for the construction of sovereignty in a “Global Europe” (this includes the current economic and political crisis of Europe with relation to global contexts);
- Re-regulations of sovereign power (rather than its de-regulation) as a key feature of contemporary transnational processes.
- Have completed PhD;
- Have an established track record in the research field of Europe in its global contexts;
- Have cultivated the ability to think “outside the box”;
- Fellow’s project should provide fresh stimuli for his/her field of expertise, also in terms of methodological input;
- Women scholars are encouraged to apply.
- Prospective Visiting Fellows will benefit from the excellent academic conditions and exchange with international colleagues;
- The Fellowship includes funding.
How to apply?
For your application, please use the standard proposal form for your project proposal and your CV. Incoming applications without the standard form cannot be considered. Please submit all of your application documents in one email to: [email protected]. The deadline for applications is 14 August, 2016.
For questions please contact: [email protected].
More information can be found on the official website.