Deadline: 26 May 2017
Open to: participants between the ages of 18 and 35 years old, linked to YATA Chapter or ATA/YATA Partner Organization
Venue: 20 June 2017 – Kiel, Germany
The Kiel International Seapower Symposium 2017 discusses maritime security challenges in the Eastern Mediterranean. It aims to shed light on current political and military developments in the region as well as their broader geopolitical implications. Consequently, the conference will discuss to what degree both regional and non-regional actors utilize sea power in order to secure their interests in this part of the world. Thereby a multitude of aspects needs to be considered. These range from sea control, power projection capabilities, and the control of straits, to the security of SLOCs, maritime and economic infrastructure, anti-access/area denial networks, and littoral warfare – all of which have a significant bearing on the future developments in the region and beyond.
YATA has reserved three slots at the conference for highly motivated young professionals and/or students interest in maritime security questions related to the Mediterranean sea. In order to qualify for one of these slots, applications must send in an application related to one of the four panels organized at KISS.
1. Cradle of civilization and critical junction;
2. Great powers – great stakes;
3. Regional stakeholders – competing interests;
4. The long view – prospects for the region.
The selection criteria is:
- Age between 18 and 35;
- Member of YATA Chapter or ATA/YATA Partner Organization;
- Experienced with social media tools, primarily Facebook and Twitter;
- Knowledgeable about maritime security (proven by a draft proposal for their essay);
- Able to attend on June 19 and June 20;
- Remain active in follow-up activities.
In addition to these criteria, the selection will be based on geographic, gender and occupation spread in order to achieve a healthy representation of the YATA network.
The ISPK has arranged accommodation in style, participants will stay two nights on board of a small yacht. In addition, it will provide up to 200 EUR of travel reimbursement. Transportation from the accommodation to the conference venue is provided in the morning and at night. Coffee breaks, lunch, and reception are also covered.
How to apply?
All potential candidates are required to send:
- Their Curriculum Vitae (no longer than two pages);
- Motivation letter;
- Their Facebook and Twitter handles;
- Short essay draft proposal (no longer than 300 words);
- Five questions to be asked during KISS 2017.
Please send your application to [email protected] no later than May 26, using the following format: Last Name_Kiel International Seapower Symposium_Name of the panel in the subject of your email.
For more information please visit the official web page.