Deadline: 29 May 2017
Open to: young researchers: historians, cultural and social scientists, city planners and architects
Venue: 4 – 15 September 2017, Belgrade and Sarajevo
The summer school “History Takes Place – Dynamics of Urban Change” will bring together from 4 to 15 September 2017 twenty international young researchers – historians, art historians, archaeologists, cultural and social scientists, city planners and architects. This year’s program is focused on the complex and multi-layered history of Belgrade and Sarajevo. The ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius and the Gerda Henkel Foundation invite the participants to study the connections between historical events and spatial development.
The comprehensive program will provide insight into the cities’ history, politics, society, theory, literature, art, music, and film, thus enabling an in-depth understanding of the material and symbolic resources. Through discussions and the physical experience of the urban spaces, the summer school aims to make participants aware of architectural and represented space. The academic director is Prof. Dr. Marie-Janine Calic, Chair of East and South-East European History at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich.
- The summer school invites applications particularly from postgraduate students in history, art history, archaeology, cultural studies and the social sciences, as well as young architects and city planners;
- Applicants should have a genuine interest in an interdisciplinary exchange on the history of the city and city development;
- They should have a keen thematic and methodological interest in urban studies and be familiar with the past and current developments in South Eastern Europe;
- Sessions will be held in English;
- Participants are expected to prepare for the sessions with course materials and reading lists, and also give a presentation on a topic related to their academic interests and competencies.
Travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by the organizers.
How to apply?
Please send your application including a statement of interest, CV and suggested presentation topic to the program director at the ZEIT-Stiftung, Dr. Anna Hofmann: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please visit the official web page.