Deadline: 1 November 2017
Open to: canadian and international students
Scholarship: USD 50,000 per year
The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning. The Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in:
- social sciences;
- natural sciences;
Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually;
A total of up to 500 scholarships is active at any time.
Scholarships are distributed equally among the three federal granting agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR);
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC);
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2018;
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valued at USD 50,000 per year.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application.
If you have any questions, send an email to [email protected].
For more information please visit the official website.