Deadline: 25 July 2017
Open to: women journalists from all over the world
Benefits: USD 230,000 worth of grants to support women journalists
The IWMF’s Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists supports the production of ambitious projects and underreported, globally important stories. For the next nine years, the IWMF will make an annual total of USD 230,000 worth of grants to support women journalists in their projects and endeavors. The fund is not limited in either the grant dollar amount or the number of grants awarded within the annual total.
The Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists, the first funding initiative of its kind, enables the IWMF to dramatically expand its support of women journalists. Established with a $4 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, the Fund will support projects including educational opportunities, investigative reporting, and media development initiatives.
Funding rounds will open for applications two times each year; applications take approximately 6 to 8 weeks to process. Applicants may apply for concurrently for Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories and the Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists.
The fund was designed to help women journalists by providing grantees support to:
- Expose under-reported but critical global issues;
- Undertake ambitious projects that challenge traditional media narratives;
- Develop field-based expertise and strengthen careers;
- Pursue training and leadership opportunities;
- Launch entrepreneurial news projects or acquire the skill to do so.
- Woman-identifying journalists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply;
- Professional Journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession;
- Applicants must have three or more years of professional journalism experience;
- Teams of journalists may apply, however, the submission must be a woman journalist and her team must include at least 50% women.
The IWMF will make an annual total of USD 230,000 worth of grants to support women journalists in their projects and endeavors.
How to apply?
Applicants must be prepared to provide the following information (in English):
- Contact Information and Resume/CV;
- Brief description of the project or opportunity you are seeking funding for;
- If applicable, a list of any other team members or applicants;
- Description of the purpose of the proposal and the issue/problem it is designed to address;
- Estimated budget and time frame.
For more information please visit the official website.