Students’ Model United Nations is an annual conference organized in a form of academic simulation of the United Nations and its councils. SMUN is organized by Students’ Club of Political Science Faculty at the University of Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, in a partnership with Model United Nations Slovenia, Center for National Development Studies in Belgrade and Republic of Serbia. It was first held in October, 2014 and since then, it has hosted more than 150 participants from all over the globe. This year edition of SMUN will simulate the work of Human Rights Council and Security Council and will take place at the University of Banja Luka and National Assembly of Republic of Srpska, in October 18-22, 2017.
To ensure a true diplomatic experience, SMUN also consists of study visits to legislative and executive bodies of Republic of Srpska, roundtables, social events and many more. SMUN aims to bring young people interested in international relations and law, diplomacy and journalism together and to provide a platform for quality discussion on global issues. By hosting participants from all over the world, SMUN promotes the value of mutual understanding and importance of different perspectives on important issues in modern politics. Our goal is to initiate information and knowledge exchange, thus prepare, motivate and inspire future leaders for their service in diplomacy.
This year edition of SMUN will give our participants an opportunity to discuss ongoing issues of nuclear proliferation, international terrorism measures, child military service and protection of women and girls in war zones. With their assigned countries, our participants will be asked to do a research on country’s national and foreign policies, its global position and international relations. Besides the committee sessions, we wish to provide our participants with an opportunity for networking, information exchange and informal discussions, which will be conducted through social events and study visits. One of the conference goals is to educate our guests from all over the world on our national culture, policies and academic systems, as well as to promote academic exchange between the University of Banja Luka and other academic institutions.
Experience diplomacy and get motivated for active participation in modern politics by applying for SMUN 2017. We are looking forward to meeting you in October!
In order to apply, future delegates must:
- be between 18 and 35 years old;
- be able to communicate in English during the conference;
- hold a passport valid through April 2018;
- possess interest in diplomacy, international relations, international law and/or journalism.
– Domestic participants*: KM 130 per person;
– Foreign participants: EUR 90 per person;
– Delegations (3 delegates) – Delegation fee is 20% off;
– Delegations (5 delegates) – Delegation fee is 40% off.
If you are interested in applying as a delegation, please send us an email at [email protected]
This fee covers:
– reserved post as a country delegate member at SMUN 2017 Conference sessions;
– welcome event;
– opening ceremony cocktail;
– all conference materials;
– entrance to all social events;
– coffee break and refreshments;
– sightseeing tour;
– diplomatic cocktail night (closing ceremony);
– Awards for the best participants in each committee;
– Participation Certificate.
SMUN 2017 PARTICIPATION FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
– travel fees
All the participants can apply for financial support in their home countries. If needed, the organizer will provide the applicants with letters of support.
How to apply?
For more information, visit the official website.