Deadline: 20 March 2011
Open to: students of BA, MA or PhD (social sciences or the humanities)
Fee: no fee
Venue: 04.07 – 15.07. 2011 Copenhagen, Denmark
The Asian Dynamics Initiative (ADI) of the University of Copenhagen invites applications for a summer school on ‘History, Identity and Religion in Contemporary Central Eurasia‘ to be held in Copenhagen, Denmark, 04.07.2011 – 15.07.2011.
Organized within the framework of the cross-faculty Asian Dynamics Initiative at the University of Copenhagen, this summer school is designed as an interdisciplinary event to provide students unfamiliar with the region with introductory courses into the societies, polities and cultures of contemporary Central Eurasia. All participants will learn to situate their studies in the context of international scholarship and receive assistance in identifying new directions for further, independent work.
Students will be initiated into ongoing scholarly debates on current issues in various disciplines of the humanities and the social sciences, while at the same time acquiring specialized regional knowledge with a strong historical dimension. Courses will emphasize micro-macro links, showing how local moments can simultaneously be grasped as transnational phenomena embedded in the broader Eurasian and global context. MA and BA students will be given an opportunity to present and discuss their dissertation topics. Priority will be given to the following topics:
- processes of identity building, ethnicity and citizenship
- state formation and state building, borders, regionalism and territoriality
- the entanglement of the religious, the cultural and the political
The Summer School is open to all applicants registered as students at BA (second or third year), MA or PhD level who attend courses in area studies, or in any discipline within the social sciences or the humanities, who feel that they would benefit from familiarizing themselves with ongoing scholarly research on Central Eurasia.
There is no tuition fee. Participants are expected to cover their own travel expenses, accommodation in Copenhagen and maintenance. (Many universities have special funds available for such purposes and prospective applicants are encouraged to contact their International Office).
The Asian Dynamics Initiative has a limited number of grants available (up to 10,000 DKK per person) to contribute to the travel and maintenance expenses of well-qualified students who are unable to obtain funding from elsewhere.
The working language of the Summer School is English.
How to apply
Applicants should send:
- a statement explaining their motivation (no more than half a page)
- a CV
- details of academic affiliation
- transcripts of grades of university career so far
- two letters of recommendation from the supervisors/academic advisors (if students are applying for financial support from the Asian Dynamics Initiative, their financial needs should also be honestly assessed in this letter, which will be treated confidentially). Referees are also asked to comment on the English skills of the student (if not a native speaker).
Please send your applications (electronically or by post) to:
Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies
Asian Dynamics Initiative
University of Copenhagen
DK – 2300